Friday, April 30, 2010

(66) TGIF

It's another blustery day and besides that It's been threatening to rain all day. Some of my plants and smaller trees have been whipped around, If the trees don't straighten up by tomorrow we are going to cut some of them down. A couple are leaning way over the yard and it isn't going to improve the looks of it or the yard. Easier to cut it when its small. The Canna that we planted when Nana was here is leafing out in two places. We were all taking bets on weather or not it would bloom and I am so happy that it may actually survive. We'll see.

I said in my last blog that I would share some of the games that I discovered yesterday and share how the games went with Beeks. First let me say that this website is done by a dog trainer who seems to know the importance of play. I like that. The website is: http://www.wagntrain.com/Games.htm.
Now let me tell you about the games that looked interesting and the ones that I tried to play with Beeks. (Can you tell that it didn't go so well on the first time out?)
Hide and Seek
This is an easy game to play. This is like playing hide and seek with kids. You hide then call your dog and when the dog finds you, get excited. For a harder challenge, put your dog in a down stay until you hide then release him by calling to him. My dad used this game when he was dog sitting for my sister's dog Jesse James and my niece's kids at the same time. Papa was able to get the 5 year old to play the game with Jesse James and both were occupied for a long time. When I played this with Beeker inside it was no contest. He was able to find me where ever I hid. I want to try this outside. I be this will be more of a challenge.

Treasure Hunt
Here you put your dog in a down stay and then you hide a treat or a toy. Then you release the dog to locate the treat or toy. Get real excited when he finds the toy or treat. Hide the treat/toy first where the dog can see it then find other places to hid it where the dog can't see it. This stimulates his nose and his mind. When I tried this with Beeks I used a treat tube so that he couldn't eat all of the treats at one time but he could use the scent of the treats to locate it. He did great at first. Then I hid the tube under a rug which he also found. But when I hid the tube behind a cushion, leaving an end out, he found it but would not "get it". He nosed it then turned to look at me then walked away. Not much of a challenge for either of us on this one.

Clean up your toys
I really want this one to work with Beeks. He leaves his toys out all over the house and even if I pick them all up and he watches me put them in the toy basket in the laundry room he doesn't return them. In fact, he watches me then goes and gets one to have out!

"Get a box or bucket and collect a number of toys and other dog-safe items (don't start with things your dog likes to hoard or that you don't want them ever touching). Scatter the toys in a small pile on the floor. Through shaping and teasing, get the dog to pick up the items one at a time, and place them in your hand. Once the dog is lifting the items high enough to get your hand underneath to receive, you are well started. Be sure to reward each "gift" with a food treat. Make it harder and harder to put stuff in your hand, while maintaining the fun of this "return for refund" game. Each item retrieved is dumped into the bucket. The dog will leave harder ones for later, so over time make substitutions that make the items increasingly difficult for the dog. Some dogs take the leap and start putting things directly into the bucket themselves."
When I tried this with Beeks he just took the toy and brought it close to me then dropped it in the area. I got excited and praised him but, he didn't go any further with it. After a few tries, I threw it and then he brought it back to me but still just dropped it in the area. I have to admit that this is how we play toss and fetch outside. I use two items and he brings one back and I toss the second one. I need ot rethink this and start all over in a few days. As I said, I really need this one to work.
The author/trainer Stacy Braslau-Schneck, CPDT, shares the specifics of other games such as;
Simon Says
Fetch
Keep away
Tug A War

She suggests that playing games with your dog encourages good behaviors and strengthens our relationship with your dog. It is also a great way to train your dog to respond to you when you need quick responses. Besides, its great exercise for you and your pet.

I have started reading a new book. It's titled, Love is the Best Medicine, by the Veterinarian Dr. Nick Trout. It looks at the strong bonds between people and their pets. So far so good. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. oh yea, let me know when you have the "clean up your toys game" all worked out and perfected. And I wnat you to develop a game called "clean up your dog poop" too.....:-)

    ReplyDelete