Friday, April 9, 2010

(45) What's the Use (of the dog)?

My father sent me a 1952 article about the role of household pets in the family. This was an article published in Marriage and Family Journal. The article was a review of studies of how dogs affect the lives of family members. It was titled, Some Neglected Areas of Family Study. The title alone suggests the importance of dogs in families even in 1952. The list of 11 affects was interesting in view of the times but also in the stability of the multiple roles that dogs play in our families today. To start, the 1952 paper suggests that dogs are(I paraphrase): (1.)an outlet for our affection,(2.)"serves" each family member according to his or her individual need,(3.)the developing and integration of continuing responsibility (4.)One of the best vehicles for toilet training (5.) Sex Education (6.)Satisfactory victim of personal needs for ego gratification (kicking the dog when your down syndrome) (7.)satisfies the desire for power,the wish to dominate someone (8.) the normality of physical processes, lessening inhibitions and intimate family contacts (9.) allowing an increase in range of acquaintances, social aid (10.) effective and continuing subject of family conversations (11.)companionship each according to one's own needs.

Interesting ideas to think about isn't it? I am sure that in today's list we wouldn't want to admit that we need the dog for ego satisfaction or to have something to have power over. We might not even want to admit that we would use our pet dog as a toilet training example but... Maybe the example would present itself like..., "look Lucy, see Pumpkin going to the potty where she is suppose to go?" I do think that there are a number of the listed roles that are still relevant for our pet dogs today and I think the list can be expanded as well.

Here is my list of modern roles for dog family members.
1. Surrogate child in the family. No, I love my boys but some families don't or can't have children and dogs are viable replacements for affection and caregiving.

2. Source for outlet of affection. The 1952 article stated that the dog receives more attention and affection than any other family member. I have no doubt. Here I would add a great source of unconditional love.

3. Social transition object. When necessary I can always travel with my dog and I am never alone. Beeks is a good transition into any socially awkward situation.

4. Social responsibility... Beeks needs me. I'm his source for food, water, shelter. It's good to be needed.

5. Total source for interesting family conversations. Duh, I'm writing a blog about him huh!

6. Family safety. Who would threaten me with Max and Beeks around. They not only protect me but I feel empowered by their presence.

7. Source for meaningful work. A raison d'etre if you will. A compassion, we all need to have some passion. An inward love to focus outward. To some people the responsibility of their dog fulfills this need. We enter into it freely and we derive pleasure and from it.

I'm sure the list could go on and on, but let me stop here and suggest that Beeks does have a huge role in our family and so does Max. I have previously mentioned that Max has a different role than Beeks. I think that Max's role is one of teaching and Beeks is one of filling emotional needs. To put it another way, I learn lots of lessons from Max. Patience, problem solving, prioritizing. With Beeker, he fills the emotional needs left vacant when the boys grew up and left home. I have someone to nurture and challenge to thrive. I think they make a good team of siblings in our family.

I think the way we view pets in families has changed in the last 50 some years. We certainly treat them physically better than we use to. Most family dogs now are inside homes, instead of outside in the yard. I think we also take better care of them medically. Most owners take their dogs to the Veterinarian on a regular basis. I still wonder if we take better care of our dogs mentally. With leash laws so strict now we rarely allow our pets to have the excitement of the free run. I get all of the safety needs of our communities but I do think that Beeks loves running free when he gets a chance. Being constantly confined must have a devastating effect on a dog's mental health.

What other roles have I forgotten from the list of the modern family dog? Any to add, any to extract? What good are they anyway? Lots if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment