Wednesday, April 14, 2010

(50) Friends , Feathers and Flowers





50 blogs. Can you believe it? I'm kinda getting the hang of this thing. I'm enjoying the process of writing every day and also focusing on what I do with Beeks allows me to see that I am working to enrich his life as well. Pretty good combo I think. I am taking a mandatory break from my computer project(project computer issues, not mine) and Beeks and I are getting a little fresh air out on the deck. Max looks like he wants to come out but I don't have Beeks on a tie out so I will wait to let Max out in a short time. Beeks takes little darts at squirrels he hears/sees and then comes back to the deck. I have to recall him sometimes but sometimes he comes on his own. He mostly is cruzin for sticks to chew up. Funny dog.

Late Night Wilderness PartyLast night, close to 1 AM both dogs erupted into a barking frenzy and could not be calmed down. They ran to the back windows (nearest the thick of the woods) and kept barking. I thought Max was going to knock down the plant stand) something I couldn't hear was happening in the great wilderness and it got their attention. They obviously wanted some of that action. I looked out the windows but saw nothing. Finally I got both dogs back into the bedroom and after a few more minutes they settled down for the rest of the night. I thought maybe the interruption would mean we would be getting up later this morning but Nooooooo. 6 AM on the dot Max was breathing in my ear. He has a wonderful internal clock. If I am working upstairs on the computer I will hear him getting up and start walking towards the stairs to come get me for his dinner. When I look at the computer clock it usually says 5:01. Some dog!

Playtime with Little Girls
When I do get to the dogs' dinner routine it goes something like this: I put them out in the run to go potty while I put food in the bowls. Then I let them inside the garage on a a time, depending who sits first and most patient. Then I tether Max and open the garage. As soon a Beeks is finished he and I play some games. I throw the Frisbee, or ball and I get him to jump for the rope. Since it has been nice and sunny out lately, the little girls that live next door have been riding their scooter's over when they see the garage door open. This is great practice for all of us. I am so grateful that they want to come over and feel comfortable enough to do so. They are somewhat cautious of Beeker at first,(he sometimes will want to chase them or herd them, being the cattle dog that he is) but slowly they begin to play with him wanting to do the throwing or getting him to follow them when they are scooting around. I watch this slow warming and think of the "curiously afraid" that Temple Grandin talks about. This is good for Beeker and for the girls. I want Beeks to know that squealing, laughing small people are not for herding or chasing. I want him to know that they get to say when to play and he gets to choose if he wants to follow them.
Max is a different kettle of fish. He barks and pulls at his leash. His tail is wagging and I know he would love to play with the girls but I also know that he would be too brash, too rough. Yesterday when the girls came over, the youngest girl, had a small stuffed cat that she was carrying. She got brave and walked into the garage where Max was and was talking to him. He kept looking at her like he wanted to get to her, he was really pulling and barking at her. Then I realized what was going on in his mind. He wanted he stuffed cat! I went into the house, got one of his stuffed animals, had him go to a sit and then gave him one of his own stuffed animals. He lay down and quieted right up! That was what he wanted. It is true that he is always calmer when he has something in his mouth. I think it is a Newfie thing. My neighbors is so wonderful to help us with doggy obedience school. I want Max to be okay with the girls around and not think that small people=prey. He still has such a difficult time with meet and greet. The littlest neighbor just stands at the garage opening and talks to Max, she doesn't like it that he is tethered up but neither does she like his over the top behavior. Tonight when she was talking to him, he barked real loud and it scared her, I told her that max was just replying to her and like she was talking to him, he was talking to her. She turned around and told Max, "no barking!" I am hoping that we will get a lot of tolerance practice this summer.

Rewarding Playtime
After such a long day of ignoring my dogs, I thought that they would like some play time fun, so I filled the Premier bottle and the Premier Twist-n-Treat and had the dogs sit and watch me as I put them both under a small blanket. Then I released them, to go to it. You can imagine the frenzy. Actually, Max was the more inquisitive one. Beeks sniffed the rug but Max went right for the Twist-n-Treat. I thought that he might have some difficulty opening it up to get the treats out but i was so wrong. He put it between both paws and then used one paw to turn it with pressure from the floor. Now this might not seem to much of a difficult thing but the toy only turns one way. He really kept at it and soon all the goodies were gone. It took him only about 7 minutes. Beeker is use to the treat bottle but it takes him a while too bang it all around and get the goodies out. He too kept focused on the toy, even carrying it around when he thought that Max and I were going to do some thing fun in the kitchen. It has been so warm that I think I will put some cold stuff in the Kong and the squirrel buddy so they can have cold treats tomorrow. Summer fun!

George and Gracie's Nest
The trees have filled in so much in the last few days that I am not able to see the nest so well. We have seen George and Gracie in the late afternoon, flying in the woods. They are more vocal in the afternoon and I love watching how graceful they are flying in and around the trees. They really make their presence known. We (the dogs and myself) all stop and look up when we see their shadows pass by. The screened in porch is a really good place to sit and watch all of the afternoon happenings in the woods and down the lane.

I'm working with Max when ever some distraction occurs and he gets anxious and ready to bark. I sit with him and pet him while he watches. I want him to increase the part of his brain that is able to control his impulses. Think there is a chance? He actually is doing quite well at this exercise. He may bark at first but talking to him calmly goes a long way. It seems that Beeker is the initial alert system of the pair, so I can get Beeks to stop first then maybe I can get Max to ignore the excitement too. So much to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment