Sunday, April 11, 2010

(47) Game On



It is a beautifully warm (some would say hot even)75 degree sunny day. Since Brad is at work all day and I can't work on my computer project I had to again make a day plan. So I decided to first take my walkabout and then take Beeks to the Lake of the Woods Prairie. Only this time I wanted to take him to the wooded area where a number of creeks bisect the 5mile trail.

On our walk about the yard we discovered that the tulips I dug up last year because they were not growing in the front garden, were growing in the ash pile. This says something about me or them, I'm not sure which. In the garden they grew big leaves and then die. No flowers. I kept thinking that it was the early spring weather we were having that had prohibited the flower growth, but each year nothing, so I dug them up and dumped them where we dump all of yard waste and ashes from the fireplace. I couldn't believe it when I saw how beautiful the one Tulip was. Hence the picture. I had Max tethered out on the back deck so that he could enjoy the shade and smell the fresh air. Beeks was off lead. My mistake on that one. Beeks thought it was a great game to run near Max and just out of reach so that Max couldn't get to him. Max nearly choked himself a number of times. They would wrestle and then it would turn into Max torture again, so I stopped the play and put Beeks on the 1 foot short lead for the rest of the roundabout. I am beginning to really like the 1 foot short lead because it forces Beeks to keep at a heel. He doesn't fight it and If I want to let him off lead I can just let go of it and it stays attached but not connected to me. In other words he can keep the leash attached but not trip on it when I am not holding it.

Then after making the complete rounds of the yard, inspecting the growing fern, the newly planted vinca minor(Periwinkle), and the already blooming Bleeding Hearts we headed inside.Only to see our resident Western Fox snake at the stoop of the front door. We have seen this guy(gal)since we moved here. I think it likes the warmth from the front bricks and the coolness of the cement. Anyway, last year we found babies in the spring. Brad says we need to name him also since we are naming all of our part time residents. I'm going for Stanley. As in Laural and Harding. He is pretty big, about three feet. Western Fox snakes are common in central Illinois and are not poisonous. That's a good thing.

We went to the Prairie woods this afternoon and I will tell you all about that tomorrow. It was pretty exciting. However, I want to share a conversation that my sister and I had this morning about dogs and play. Let me know what you think.

Juli was telling me that her dog Jesse James creates and plays games. Jesse is an only dog in the family. He has lots of dog friends whom he plays with frequently. Juli also takes Jesse to the dog park so he plays with new friends as well. At home Jesse gets lots of love and attention from Juli so he is not neglected by any means. When Juli is otherwise occupied, Jess will create games. One of them that I have seen is where he takes his ball to the top of the stairs and noses it slowly until it falls down the steps. He then runs to get recover it and brings it back to the top and noses it until it falls down the steps again. Another game he created happens when he finds a fly or bug of some sort. He will manipulate it in some sort of fashion and then watch its reaction, then manipulate it again, repeating the game. I have seen my cat Chez do this game playing and creating as well. He will fling one of his cat toys and then pounce on it, or fling it in the air and then over a bench and then stalk it. He loves this solo play. Max and Beeker don't create solo games. My question to Juli and to everyone else is: Why do some dogs and cats engage in solo play when others don't? We talked about a number or possibilities which I will suggest and maybe you will have some others. Do your pets create games to play?

I believe that Beeker and Max are as intelligent as Jesse James and Chez so intelligence doesn't enter into this conversation. I believe that play has a lot to do with novelty and surprise. The sheer rush of the unknown is fun and physically arousing for all of us (sometimes positively and sometimes negatively but arousing none the less). Beeks and Max have each other to play with to get the suprise aspect of play, so when ever Beeks wants some excitement he goes to Max. Jesse creates this excitement for himself. Juli reminded me that little baby humans do this too. They drop their spoons on the floor to see what happens and we adults pick it up only to find out that the babies are laughing and doing it on purpose.
Juli also suggested that other dogs that live in single dog families don't all create games to occupy their time and need for excitement. This is true. We know of other dogs that are just hppy to be around people and except for chasing a ball don't play. Then there is Chez our cat. As I said before, he likes to create his own games and plays alone frequently. However, he plays with Beeks often and with Max to some extent. Even today while I was having this conversation with my sister Chez was batting Beeker on his rear and Beeks was rolling over for some rough and tumble with Chez. They chased each other, Chez chasing Beeker and then backing Beeker up against the wall. His back was arched but there was no hissing or growling, Just for Fun. The whole thing. So Chez and Jesse James both are able to multi-play. Isn't that a higher brain function? I'd be interested in hearing if other people's dogs and pets create games for the thrill of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment