Monday, April 19, 2010

(55) We're Really Cleaning up Now!




This was one of those days when we had a lot to do although I needed to be on the computer working on the project that seems to go on forever. As luck would have it the Computer Program system was down for three hours and so I was able to work with Nana on a few projects this morning while I waited for the tech people to get the system back up and running. After our walkabout, we decided that there was transplanting to do including moving some wild bluebells and some Ivy. We also transplanted a couple of Elm tree suckers further out into the woods so they would not need to be pulled out. However, the most fun that I had was working with the dogs teaching them about tooth brushing. I talked to my Veterinarian about the need to brush Beeks teeth when we visited earlier this month. She said there was a little tarter build up and suggested that I take it slow and get him comfortable with the taste of the tooth paste then introduce the brushing part. Well, when I was at the grocery store last week I found dog tooth paste and an assortment of tooth brushes in the pet section. The paste alone was expensive. $4.00 for a small tube. I bought Arm and Hammer brand but I am sure there are many other choices of tooth paste as well. How about liver or Beef flavored or maybe peanut butter. I bet dogs would love a squirrel flavored tooth paste. Let your imagination run with this one. Anyway,I was amazed by the number and styles of different toothbrushes for pets.There was one brush that you put on your finger that has small plastic bristles on one side so that you basically just rub the dogs teeth with your finger. I thought that was a good option because the dog or cat would feel the warmth of your finger and it would be fairly soft to the gums and mouth. This cost almost $3.00 for a small cone of plastic! I also saw a brush that looked just like a people tooth brush except that instead of one head of bristles there were three, so that it could surround the tooth of the animal(I guess). This tooth brush seemed too much like the brush that I already use for myself so after much deliberation I decided to purchase the paste only and use a regular toothbrush to start. On the side of the paste there was a warning that said never to use human toothpaste on animals and my Veterinarian had also warned against this so the paste was an essential if I was going to make tooth brushing a routine with Beeks and even Max. I wonder what is so hazardous in people tooth paste?

So today was the day. Since I couldn't get right to work on the computer project I decided to start getting Beeks use to having his teeth brushed. I have shared before that sometimes Beeks is sensitive when it comes to me touching his paws so I wasn't sure how he would react to me putting a tooth brush in his mouth. Well,as you can see by the pictures it was a huge success. I first just brushed his teeth lightly with a plain brush, no paste. I petted him and talked lovingly to him while I brushed the sides and front of his mouth. The funny part was that Max wanted to know what was up and came over to investigate. So, I also brushed Max's teeth. Beeker tolerated the brush, MAx enjoyed it. I think it must have felt like their gums were being massaged. Then I put a small bit of paste on the brush to see if they would tolerate the paste and get them use to that. That is when the tongues started flipping and I could see that this was something very different from what they were use to. Again, Beeker tolerated the paste and Maxie LOVED it! This was great! And their teeth did look cleaner. I could see that some of the tarter was loose or gone. Their teeth looked so sparkly clean that we will be wearing sunglasses from now on and having many more tooth brushing parties in the future. That's when I got the brilliant idea to try to brush Chez's teeth. He didn't think this was such a great idea. He wanted to be near all of the action when the dogs were having their teeth brushed but when it came time for his turn he let me put the brush in his mouth for about one second and then he bolted from the room. Do you think it had anything to do with the dog breath on the brush?

I finally got to put my time in on the computer project,and afterwards I got to finish painting the front railing I sanded on Sunday. It looks so much better and all spiffed up. I also touched up the front door and the back patio door so hopefully we are all good to go for the summer months. Beeker and Max are both exhausted after their figure eight walk after dinner and now Brad is brushing Max. He says that this might be a two bag brushing since Max seems to be blowing his coat. Lucky MFA student. I'll let you know how much the going rate is when I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment