Thursday, April 15, 2010

(51)Screams in the Night and other Frights


ATTENTION: This post may not be suitable for younger people and those that get squeamish about biological functions. This is certainly is gross to me!

To start...Just as we were going to bed last night(@11:30)the woods lit up with the screaming sounds of something. Something dying a painful death or screaming for help. It was the kind of scream that goes right to the back of your neck, a scream that I can only describe as bone chilling. As I lay there I thought of all of the possibilities. I am fairly certain that it was NOT a person dying. There were no words associated with the screaming. Just didn't seem right. Then there is of course George and Gracie to think about. I know hawks do their hunting(killing)all day. I once observed a hawk take a young squirrel while the mother (I presume) screeched, right in front of me in the middle of the day. So it could be the hawks. As I have shared before, we have heard Coyote pups at night. They kind of yelp and carry on. We usually hear them if the night is fairly still and not windy. Last night it was hot and still in the night (get it? "in the still of the night") But this sound was screaming, animal screams not yelping or howling at the moon. Brad has seen a fox walking down the lane. It could be the the fox on the prowl or mixing it up with other nocturnal animals. And of course I wouldn't want to forget the many masked faced raccoons that come to eat at my bird feeders. I know they are prey for something since we have found one or two decaying bodies near the creek. Raccoons make the most horrendous screeching sounds when they are mating so they are a possibility. My imagination could go on wondering what all the screaming was about but I think it is better to just chalk it up to night time wilderness ruccus. My doors were locked and I had two great alarm dogs next to me.

If that description did not scare you maybe this will... Brad sent me an email describing one of Beekers rudest behaviors. Turns out that the butt scootch he has been doing on my carpet is because his anal glands are full and he is trying to open them up and let the "pus" come out. Great and all I thought was that he needed to go outside to poop! I had no conceptualization of these glands and although I have owned a good number of dogs I have not been exposed to this process. I guess this is a naturally occurring issue with dogs and if the anal gland sacs get clogged then they need to be opened up and drained, or "popped". The anal glands have oil in them to help stool pass. I know that Beeks sometimes gets constipated cuz of all the sticks,ropes and other lovely items he eats. There is a procedure that I read about in the article Brad sent. I won't share what that process is because it is way too graphic for my blog but if you are a "do it yourself" kind of person I will give you the website so you to read up on it. If you don't really care to know too much about such bodily functions then you can either have you Veterinarian or the groomer do it for you (I mean your dog). The article is titled, "Anal Glands 101, Dog, Cat, and other Pet Friendly Travel Articles" and you can access this great article at... www.petswelcome.com/articles/anal-glands-101
P.S. there's a great picture too.

Well, since I don't have a picture of Beeker on the scootch, I just posted a picture of my Lilac's that just bloomed today. I love Lilacs!

No comments:

Post a Comment