Thursday, April 1, 2010

(37) Working like a Dog!




First, Sorry about the demon eyes on this picture. Daylight was going quick and my flash kept going flashing.

Every muscle in my body is sore but we were able to get all of the gravel into the dog run. Happiness is abounding! There were some highlights and some down turns but we finished the run and started in on the mulch. The highlights were that I was able to work with Beeks off lead as I pulled lawn carts full of gravel in and out of the dog run. His heels and recalls are really coming along. I'm so proud. A lady came walking in our cul-de-sac while Beeks was in a down stay and he didn't get up. He wanted to, his body was raised, but he stayed. I have decided that he does really good with lots of verbal praise. I think working short and frequent trainings works best for him as well. We are both learning.

Thoughts as I moved the rocks today:
While I was moving the rock from one place to another I had two reoccurring thoughts. The first was: Where are those two boys that I labored over for 9 months, when I need them? I thought we had children to help with these laborious jobs. The other thought was that I felt like the indentured workers that know how to take small tiny steps so that they don't injure themselves on their large over sized burdens. They are hunched over and are conserving their energy because they know they have many more trips ahead. I felt akin to them today. I learned the hard way that I needed to raise the bucket up high enough so that the non wheel end does not scrape my ankle or heal. Yes, it did hurt.

My Thievin' Dog Part II
Yesterday before the mulch was delivered I made some chicken salad and took it to my room to enjoy my lunch before I went outside to work. I placed the salad on my side table and then went to the bathroom. When I returned(not 2 minutes later) my thievin' dog was dragging a piece of bread off the bowl to the ground. Now, I was not really surprised but all the same, I did catch him red handed, so I admonished him by saying ,"Beeker! Bad Dog! Kennel Up!" He looked at me, with his tail between his legs and his ears down and walked into the kitchen to the laundry room (his kennel). Just like that! Brilliant! Sneeky but brilliant. He's not called Sneeky Beeky for nothing!

Chicken Hawk Update (Cooper's Hawk)
We have seen both hawks and they are still working on the nest. While I was out shoveling rocks, one of the hawks was making large arcs over head in the morning breeze. It's great to see the striped underbelly of the hawk as it flies. We have decided to name our resident hawks. Gracie and George. We hope they stay for a while. Once when a bat made its home in our front overhang during a rainy week we named her Beatrice. I think naming our short term guests helps us think of them in a hospitable, welcoming way. Part of the Fam.

Well, sleep will feel good tonight and there is more work for tomorrow. It felt good to be outside in the warm sun completing a project. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment