Tuesday, April 13, 2010

(49) Weird Dog World

I am deep into the computer project and not without some dissension. Beeks is willing to lay low for a good part of the day but soon (about 2-3 hours) he wains. He starts playing with the cat, he brings me toys and drops them in my lap, when his subtle hints doesn't do him any good, he goes for the big guns, Max. When Max and beeks walk in the office together and start wrestling, I've lost the patience battle. It's time for a break.

We live down a beautiful tree lined lane. On either side of the lane are our neighbor's back yards. With most backyards come family dogs. They bark, let their presence be known and all is good with the world. When we take the dogs for a walk, we have to walk down the lane. no problem, Lots of neighbors use our lane as a pass thru to other neighborhoods. It works well for everyone. However, Max and Beeks have a nemesis. Honest. When ever we get close to "Fido's" yard, both dogs get antsy. Max pulls and almost bucks. We have worked with him over the years so that now he mostly whimpers when we get near. Beeks gets right on that band wagon. He barks his wimpy bark, letting Max and Fido know he's there too. If we continue on, all gets aligned and the world continues to function. If we pass other dogs out in their yards, Max and Beeks will strut right past like they are ignoring the dogs, or if the dog barks a greeting, Max and Beeks will pull to see what is happening in the hood. It's a dogs world and they are happy to be a part of it. It's not just Max and Beeker with this specific dog issue. Fido lets my dogs know he isn't happy aobut this territory being invaded as well. If Fido's owners walk him down the lane towards our house and we happen to be outside, there is great dog tension at both ends of the leash. When we first got Max and I tried to walk him alone down the lane, he would pull me down into the gravel. Totally bad scene. Here's the thing. When we first moved here and we had Belle and Beau instead of Max and Beeker, they too would get anxious near Fido's yard. Belle actually growled, which is interesting because Belle was the most passive of any dog I have ever met. Fido isn't naturally aggressive. He is what we call "an Olden Golden". He is a slow moving, family loving dog as far as I can see. He just gets my dogs' goats. Why is that? I can't figure out why this one dog is able to cause pure chaos when we encounter him. something to continue to think about. Maybe something to do with a specific behavior or maybe unbeknown to us, he may be an intact male. He doesn't act like it however, no other signs of aggression when we see him with his family or next door dogs. Weird dog world.

Do you remember me telling you about Beeks hesitation with jumping on the bed when I call him up? Remember that I could stand by him and tell him to "bed up" and he would jump right up but if I was sitting on the bed and try to call him up in my sweetest voice and plead with him, he just sits and almost jerks with desire but some apprehensiveness to jump? The funniest thing happened when I was working on this blog. The dogs came to the bed to let me know they wanted to get up. Beek's with his head on the bed, and sad puppy eyes. Max just up close with heavy breathing,so I said "okay, come on". Max went to his side of the bed and jumped right up. No problem. Beeks quivered. I begged him almost. "Come on, Come on, up Beeks." Then he Jumped right up. On my lap! Between me and the computer. He wants to be my lap dog! I sat with him in that position for about 5 minutes cuz I was in shock. Then he was too hot. I moved him down a bit then moved my computer so I could continue to blog.
Weird dog world.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Fido from our previous visits. I don't get it with ol' Fido either. He really is just a regular dog and not outwardly aggressive or anything, but when we have been at your house and on a dog walk that goes past Fido's house, Jesse James gets his tail up in the air and starts walking stiffly and with a tenseness.

    ReplyDelete