Monday, April 5, 2010

(41) April Showers Bring May Flowers (and Plants)





We had a whopper of a thunder storm this afternoon but it lasted only about 20 minutes and then the sun came out as the humidity rose. Beeker does not like thunder it turns out. As soon as the thunder boomed he lowered his ears and his body and crept to where I was standing. I tried to comfort him and to reassure him that the thunder would pass. Then t boomed again. This time he crept to where Max as laying in the laundry room but then his anxiety grew and he returned to where I was and crawled under the kitchen table so that he could see me and Max at the same time. I know that loud low noises can hurt a dog's ears so I felt sympathy for him. It was interesting to watch how his anxiety led him to roam around instead of hunkering down. He really was trying to find a place that would protect him and also to be near those (Max and Me) who could reassure him at the same time. Even after the sun came out and we readied to go outside, Beeks was still more anxious than normal. When we got outside and smelled that wonderful mix of dirt and rain, we both felt better. I don't think there is a better smell in nature than that of dirt after a new rain. To me that is nature at its best. What a great fresh smell. I guess Beeks thinks so too because he ran around the lot like a puppy (see pictures). As I have said before, We usually take a walkabout in the morning and in the evening. Today the difference of growth between the two walks in the same day was nothing but amazing(see pictures). I love this time of year when the April showers really do bring May flowers. I love watching each fern poke its tendrills up to the sun. I would swear that the growth is so fast right now that Beeks could hear it (being that his hearing is so good). He just can't get enough of the running and the pouncing in the woods. I allow him to run then after I walk further on, I call him to me and he (mostly)comes. My son use to call this,"attaching to the Mother Ship". Then off he goes.

Last week I purchased the Premier Twist and Treat toy for Beeks and have been filling it with Canidae Tiny Bits.Its basically the Canidae food in small treat sizes. This is the toy that the dog has to figure out how to twist the top and bottom of the saucer shaped toy in order to get the holes matched so that the treats will come out. The top and bottom of the saucer shaped toy screw into each other for filling. I shook it after I had placed treats in it and thought that since the top and bottom need to be lined up in order to let the treats out, Beeks would not be able to figure it out. I first gave him this toy in the car as something to do when we were going somewhere. I heard him working on it and then after about five minutes nothing. I assumed that he got bored trying to get the treats without success. That was that. When I got home and grabbed it to take it into the house I discovered that the toy was completely empty. Completely! The top and bottom halves were aligned and all of the treats were gone. POOF! I tried it again at home with the same results but I didn't watch him so the next time I am going to watch to see what his method is. I will report back.

Enjoy your rainy days and watching the green grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment