Tuesday, April 6, 2010

(42) Mixed Emotions or Dogs on the Run

On the Run
Its a good thing that Beeker gets his morning, afternoon, and evening romps and walks because he needs them. We take our walk-abouts in the morning, to see all the new growth and then in the afternoon he runs around the yard and woods. Again he runs around the yard when Brad gets home or after we take the "together" walk with Max and Brad. Its been windy, windy, windy, today but it has also been warm. Almost 80 degrees. The wind helpskeep me cool but with the dog's black hair it warms up fast. Max is most happy inside or in the garage on the cement floor. Beeks gets hot but cools down faster and is ready to go again. Smaller body and quicker recharge.

I was busy on the computer most of the day and Beeks was most willing to just hang ot in the hall way waiting for me to finish. He has about a 3 hour patience cycle and then he needs/wants some attention. He lets me know this by bringing me a toy and droping it in my lap. Today it worked out pretty well with my schedule and we both needed a break at the same time. Other times I have to put him off (see previous blog).

Is He or Isn't He?
I love both my dogs. Max is such a loving dog, he has those big eyes that really look at you and let you know he loves you back. Here's the thing. I spend a lot of time with Beeker outside off leash. Beeks follows me all over. If I go upstairs, so does Beeks. If I go into the kitchen, so does Beeks. I readily take Beeks with me whenever I run errands. I treat them both, when one gets a treat, I give the other one a treat. Both dogs sleep on the bed at night, however Max doesn't last long cuz its too hot for his Newfie self.
But I wonder, does Max (or any dog) get jelous? I know that jelousy is an emotion and emotions seem like a human trait. We have learned that animals cane feel fear, rage, curiosity(seeking or anticipation). So they do feel some "human" simular emotions. I know that Max gives me the "sad" eyes when I walk out the door with Beeks. Max is enthusiastic if he thinks that I am leaving the house. He will follow me and keep close to the door. He is giving me all of the signs that he is anticipating the outing and wants the adventure as much as Beeks until...the door opens and Beeks is called to leave. I can almost hear Max sigh with sadness. I find my self feeling aprehensive as I get ready to leave. sometimes I know that taking Max with us would be miserable for him, that he woudl be much more comfortable staying home, but still I wonder, am I just rationalizing? Am I the worst kind of dog owner, favoring one dog over the other? I certianly wouldn't favor one of my children over the other.

So after my own self inflicted guilt, I reexamine the situation and come up with these thoughts/rationalizations: (1.) Max has a different role(job)in our family, with different strengths from Beeker. (2.)Max has not proven himself as able to recall, or be socially behaved most of the time. (3.) Max is big and I am not able to control him if he decides to pull like a crazy dog. (4.)Max isn't always comfortable when we go out.
Again, these are my rationalizations. I know that I need to practice with Max alone, without Beeker but the question remains, does he get jelous when I take Beeks outside or show favoritism? Or does he just move on to the next moment and activity, like where the coolest place is in the house at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment