Saturday, May 1, 2010

(67) Hosta Splittin' Day



Today is hosta splittin' day. We got up early and started digging up two of our three hosta beds. After digging them, we split them and then replanted them more spaced out. We also placed some of the extra in a bed that previously had only ferns and lillies. Although exhausted from all the digging and moving, we decided that they really looked better with lots of room to grow.

Happy May Day!

I learned something new today. It's always good, don't you think? We went to the feed store today and I asked the clerk if they carried prebiotics as well as probiotics. What followed was a whole new understanding for me. If you remember I wanting to figure out why Max had loose stools and I assumed that in part it had to do with the fact that we had run out of the probiotics that we previously used to sprinkle on his food. The fact that he was willing to eat when the probiotics were sprinkled on his food was even more evidence to me that he needed it. After researching the difference of probiotics and prebiotics I decided that the reason Max needed prebiotics was because he needed more fiber. After talking to the clerk I learned that the dog food that we have been feeding them (Canidae) already has both probiotics and prebiotics in it. He suggested that Max's loose stools maybe due to anxiety, or Max might have irritable bowl syndrome and he (Max) would be better off with supplementing his diet with frozen green beans or peas. He also suggested that sweet potatoes were a good source of fiber as well. After discussing the possibility of changing the dogs current food to one of less protein (same brand just one protein instead of four)as well as adding beans, peas and sweet potatoes we decided to try the added vegetables first before changing food. before we left the feed store Brad picked up an antler and questioned the guy on its true appropriateness. I mean really an antler? Turns out that antlers are shed each year like a snake looses it's skin or like some mammals shed their hides. Also antlers are made of calcium (makes sense to me) and are not toxic to dogs. Therefore we got one for out heavy chewer (Beeks). Sense we got home and I gave it to Beeker he started chewing it and did not let up. It is dense and difficult to chew and he loved it. He walked around with it and wouldn't let Max near it. At first I was sorry that I didn't pay the big price for each dog to get one but Brad reminded me that Max really doesn't chew like Beeks and he would have just forgotten about it after a few minutes. True enough. The cost of the antler piece was weighted. The size we got was about 7 inches long and cost the same as the Dinosaur Nylabone. We had to take it away from Beeks after about three hours of nonstop chewing. He was obsessed with it. He didn't follow me or go anywhere he just wanted to chew the thing. After we took it away it seemed that he was depressed. could he be addicted in such a short time? Is it addictive?
After the dogs ate dinner and we were still busy with chores I decided to give each dog a frozen green bean. I gave one to Max first and he gobbled it right up without hesitation. Then I gave Beeks one and he smelled it slowly then hesitantly took it. He went to the front rug (he does this to protect his food from Max) then he dropped it out of his mouth, like a kid who doesn't like lima beans. When I pointed it out to Max, he ate it up right away. Beeks wants his fiber the old fashioned way. Through sticks and bark! At least the right dog likes the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment