Tuesday, May 25, 2010

(91) A little red fox came out of the woods…


Usually when I go get the mail I take Beeks with me. He gets a chance to run in the yard and I get a chance to practice heeling and recall with him. Today however was different. He had been out with me a number of times already. We went out early to walkabout, then again when I started my paint project. By this afternoon when I went to check the mail, it was incredibly humid and hot, about 88 degrees with 80 percent humidity. I decided to leave Beeks and Max inside and go alone to check the mail. As I was walking up our driveway I got the best surprise of the week. Of course, whenever I go walking I look all around the yard and check out the hood. I like to know who is home, who is gardening, and say “hey” if they are out. Today from the back end of my neighbor’s driveway came a small, trotting red fox. It trotted all the way up the driveway almost to the circle but stopped short of entering it when it must have spied me. It turned around and quickly trotted back the way it came. This was during the hottest part of the day. What was that little fox thinking? I know that two creeks converge behind our neighbors’ lot and, I remember that Brad has seen a similar fox (the same one?) trotting down the lane. This fox may have been trying to get back to or coming from its den. We occasionally hear fox or coyote kits crying at dusk. We have seen both in our woods/lane. I get so tickled by the number and variety of animals that reside with us here in the woods. Although we are more isolated than an inner city home, we are attached to a sub development and there are other homes near us. It isn’t like we are live alone miles from neighbors. Guess we will now have to name this little red fox. Star fox, Redd, are some names that have been suggested. I wonder how to tell if it is a male or female.
Of course I needed to read up on Red Fox and learn all that I could. Turns out that Red Fox are common to most countries and are seen all over the US. They are from the Canidae family, the same as dogs and Coyotes. This one didn’t weigh more than 10 pounds which is average. Some look like they weigh more, however, it’s due to the great amount of fur they have. They are not specifically nocturnal but tend to be nocturnal if they live in a more urban area. This is because of the need to stay clear of people. They are scavengers but also feed on rodents, rabbits, birds, and other small game, their diet can be as flexible as their home habitat. Foxes will eat fruit and vegetables, fish, frogs, and even worms. If living among humans, foxes will opportunistically dine on garbage and pet food. They have relatively small stomachs and will cache food for later use. They mark their food with urine and or scent glands. If our foxie is a female she is a Vixen, if he’s a male he’s a dog. Immature fox are kits or pups. Pairs mate in winter with both parents caring for the kits until the end of summer, when the family will dismantle and begin to hunt solitarily. Here is something that I found particularly interesting… Fox dig burrows to birth and protect their young, but when the caring for the young is finished the fox will not use a burrow any longer, choosing to sleep in bedded down grass or thicket. The picture above is from The National Geographic website and not from my spectacular photographic ability, sorry.

While I was out painting a bookshelf I noticed that the birdhouse I bought at a garage sale and spray painted is now being used by a bird. Species unknown, but the nesting is evident. This bird house looks like a lighthouse and has two holes, one above the other. The lower hole has sticks and nesting material coming out. That is pretty awesome. I hear a lot of wrens but other bird songs as well. Hope I get to see this one.

From the Old Dogs can learn new tricks file
Well, My oldest son who is in China right now wanted me to down load and use Skype, so that we could talk while he is there, for communication etc. I have since learned how to download Skype, use it, and I also figured out how to install a Webcam. That’s not all this old dog has learned! Oh,no, I have actually used it and talked to him. Pretty good for an old dog!
P.S. Note to self: When it is rainy and cold be careful what you wish for…

No comments:

Post a Comment