Tuesday, May 11, 2010

(77) Synchronicity and That's a Wrap

Sometimes I get the feeling that things happen for a reason or that certain thoughts or focused concepts are illuminated for a reason. This has been happening lately for me. What I have been thinking about, seems to keep coming up in everything I see or hear. I have previously written a post regarding how impressed I am with Temple Grandin's clear understanding and writing about animals and dogs in particular. She is able to express clearly how autistic people and animals relate to one another and the world. Then it seems her work shows up in conversations or work that I read or TV shows. Its called Synchronicity or maybe some people would say there is no such thing as a coincidence. What ever the explanation, the fact remains that just with in the hours of today Temple Grandin and her work relating to animals (dogs in particular) and their relationship to people has popped into my world multiple times. While still at work today when I was feeling frustrated because I had not been able to think of a topic to write about in this post, a friend suggested I write about the calming wraps that I wrote about in last nights post. These wraps help anxious dogs to relax and increase calm during thunderstorms. I have read about them in Bark magazine as well as in Temple Grandin's book, Animals Make Us Human, So the conversation at work surrounded the use of these wraps and their positive use last night during the thunderstorm. We agreed they would have come in handy for the more anxious dogs we own. When I asked my coworkers what I should write about tonight it was suggested I should write more about the calming wraps. Dr. Grandin wrote that she devised one for herself after watching cows being placed in a wrap of sorts to calm them during inoculations. She discussed the calming effects for herself and other autistic individuals as well a the use for dogs. Tonight when I started looking for information about calming wraps, I first went to an Internet site that told how to make a calming wrap.

This information was found on eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_6173772_wrap-dogs-treat-anxiety.html) and stated,"Major triggers of anxiety in dogs are separation, thunderstorms, fireworks, car rides, strangers, unexpected loud noises, injury or other disruptions to a dog's life. One method of soothing and calming anxious dogs is the use of pressure or anxiety wraps. Wrapping is similar to swaddling an infant and uses a technique called "maintained pressure," first developed by Dr. Temple Grandin, to help calm herself and others with Autism. The pressure helps the person or dog become calm when fearful, anxious or hyperactive."

Then I looked at my email and noticed an email from my father that told me about an independent film on PBS that he thought I might like to see regarding Autism and Horses. I was able to watch the hour show and thought the film was highly interesting, but the segue here was that it included information given by Dr. Grandin and others. Dr. Grandin has written about her own relationship with horses and how she learned to relate to the world through them. Last night was such a wild thunderous storm that Beeks would have done better with the use of a calming wrap. Sometimes I think Maxie would do well with a claming wrap when there is a lot of activity around him. He gets so overwhelmed sometimes.
I know this post is short but it has been a long day and I really am short on ideas since I am not home for much of the day. Too bad I can't have Beeks write about what his day consists of while I am gone. Now that would be an interesting read.

From the yard...
The Japanese Iris are open and we have so may buds ready to open as well. They are beautiful. We can't see any of Georgen'Gracie's nest. It is completely covered from view by the tree leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment