Monday, May 10, 2010

(76) Hoping for a Good Night's Rest

Well, it was a long day and I was glad to get home. When I finally got into the garage I noticed that the dogs food bowls were emptied, good sign. I was greeted by two happy dogs that were ready to go outside but not wild, and anxious and panicked to get out desperately. This is all good. When I let them back inside they went into the energy releasing wrestling mode. Now that I am finished with my evening chores, they are just hanging out and resting. I think this is interesting. They clearly needed to release lots of pent up energy and enjoyed playing together. The roughhousing went on for about 15 minutes with both dogs clearly taking turns of the alpha dominate position. This was a useful way to unleash energy. But now they are actually looking like they are asleep. What's with that? I wonder what they do all day when they are in the laundry room. The space gives them room enough to move around and even play if they wanted, but from my experience, they usually just sleep when we aren't home and they are confined. So...if they sleep all day why are they already back resting? I remember older dogs resting for most of the day but Beeks is just 2 years old and Max only 3. Conserving energy? Lulled asleep by the rain? There is thunder with the rain that began around 7:00 and so I assume that Beeks is not going to remain so calmly asleep for long. From the weather map I realized that this storm is going to gradually grow in magnitude and will get increasingly louder. The mass of the storm should be near 3AM. Great,if it follows its current path, we will not get much sleep tonight. Brad forwarded a great little article about dogs and cats that get nervous and anxious during thunderstorms. It suggested that some animals may be sensitive to the Electro-magnetic pulses that shifts and changes with thunder storms. Or the air pressure changes may indicate to them that they are not safe in their environment. The article described Beeker's behavior of leaning up to the owner or hiding in a small space for safety perfectly. Also described were 7 suggestions for dealing with dogs and cats that are anxious during storms. I will only paraphrase them but you can check the article out at...http://www.petswelcome.com/articles/7-tips-for-dogs-who-are-afraid-of-storms.html?utm_source=Pet+Travel+Articles&utm_campaign=a03c61f0f3-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email
1...check with the vet to see about behavior modification or meds appropriate to the severity of issue for your pet.
2. Make sure your pet's ID and/or Micro chip are up to date in case they get out.
3. If your pet looks for a place to hide during a storm, create a comfortable and safe place for it to be, like under a bed or in a crate with a blanket.
4.Stay clam so you don't pass on the nervousness to the pet. They will pick up you anxiousness.
5.Play music or white noise to drown out the sound of the storm.
6.Take a drive, car rides clam some dogs(not Beeker!)
7. Some dogs will calm down if snuggled by hugging or a body wrap.

These are good suggestions and right now Beeks is on the bed with me. He was laying on the floor until the thunder started, waking him.

After the big day I have had, I am hoping for a good night's rest. Think it's possible? It could happen, you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment