Wednesday, May 26, 2010

(92)Its Swimmin’ Time or Spray Paint's your Best Friend




We’ve been getting up earlier these days. Although Brad leaves for work at the crack of dawn during the summer, we (the dogs and I) have been getting outside as early as possible due to the heat. The humidity is the same but the temperature is cooler and almost enjoyable. If Beeks and I begin our walkabout early enough we are usually able to chat with our neighbors as they leave for work and school. We love this morning calm. The birds actually sing since it isn’t deathly hot and there is a sweet smell in the air. This morning I noticed the mock orange bush is blooming and that has the softest sweet smell you ever encountered. I think the deer like it too as there were two bent and broken branches on it. I seem to be much more productive in the morning as well. I have much more energy to get the projects completed that I have set for myself if I get started early in the morning. For instance, yesterday I stayed inside when I got up and did some of the chores like unloading the dish washer, doing laundry and other BORING house chores. We did put some music on LOUD so that helped but the morning got away from me quickly. By the time I was able to get outside it was so hot and humid that I really didn’t have the energy to go out and do anything. I did finally make myself take Beeks for a walk after I returned from getting the mail and discovered that the sun was under a cloud and it seemed like it wasn’t so hot. Beeks was so excited that he twirled in circles. I don’t think he knew how hot it really was outside. We walked the large figure eight, where we encountered a few other walkers and dogs. By the time we got home we were both panting! This was around the dogs dinner time so I fed them both and then I decided that a cool down was in order. Some time ago, I had gotten a child’s pool from our neighbors when they decided to get a larger one for their girls. This plastic pool is perfect for the dogs. It is portable, it is shallow, it holds just the right amount of water. As the dogs ate, I filled the pool. We didn’t observe the “No swimming for an hour after eating” rule. Beeks went first. He was timid at first but sniffed the rim and drank some of the water after I held some up to his mouth. I tried to coax him in but to no avail, so then I did the only rational thing to do, I lifted his paws and put them in the pool and then pushed the rest of him in. He loved it! Really, he walked around, drank from it, got out and then back in. I put some water all over him, gently on his back and tummy, I asked him to sit down, and he tried, he really tried but the water was so cold, he couldn’t quite get all the way down to a sit. It was more like a squat. Who can fault him? I thought it was cold, and because the ambient temperature was so warm, it felt even colder. Then it was Max’s turn. He had no problem walking right in the pool. He just stood there like, “What exactly did you want me to do in here?” He refused to sit down as well, but like the cool water for drinking. This whole episode lasted less than 20 minutes but I decided that it was a good start to summer water fun. I left the pool full of water and if it gets as warm today as yesterday, we will try it again. This morning on our walkabout, Beeks was highly curious about it and sniffed the rim for a long time. Maybe they are not the only animals that took a swim yesterday.
As I said at the beginning, we have been getting up earlier now that it is light earlier and the coolest part of the day. One of the items on my To Do list is to paint the treasures I got at last weekend’s garage sales. I like to use spray paint. My sister taught me that “spray paint is your friend”. I’m a convert, and I try to convert as many others as possible. Spray paint changes everything. It makes everything look new and fresh. I use three colors that go with my interior house pallet . (sorry, sounds a little artsy) I use only white, black or oregano spray paint. I’ve used it to improve picture frames, tables, chairs, lamps, most anything. So this week I have been using it on a bookshelf and a sofa table. The bookshelf will go out on our screened in porch and the sofa table will go in our bedroom. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have everything I own spray painted, but sometimes a table or chair just screams for new life, and spray paint will do the trick. The picture above is the first coat on the table. I had to start early today so that I can give it two coats with a sanding between. And time for swimmin’ too! Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment