Thursday, May 6, 2010

(72) A Good Book and a Great Movie

First off, We watched the great movie Hidalgo (2004) tonight and still love this movie. If you haven't seen it in a while watch it. It is the true story of a pony express rider in the 1890, who goes to Arabia to compete in the 3,000 mile Ocean of Fire race. It has everything even Omar Sharif. What I love most is the man's devotion to his horse and the horse's love and devotion to the man. I say it is a feel good movie but it also is heart wrenching at times. Just watch it and let me know.

Beeks is getting very good at jumping through the hoop mow. Both dogs will do anything for the sweet potato pieces. I cut them up into little slices and they will do absolutly anything, follow me anywhere if they smell it. It's a good thing that it is good for them. Beeks can jump through the hoop when it is about a foot to a foot and a half above the ground. He doesn't always remember to start running before he ges to the hoop and so then psych's himself out. He just stands with the hoop around his neck and leans forward thrying to ge the treat. Then he backs up, goes the other way and gets a little better run. He's at about 50 percent of the time.

I finished my book, Love is the Best Medicine ,by Dr. Nick Trout. I enjoyed the read and recommend it to you. Here is why I think it is worth the time to read this book. It is by a Veterinary surgeon, who tells the stories of two of his patients and their owners. I like that He shared the ups and downs and delemas of being a veterinarian. He may be optimistic in his discriptions of the families but he also expresses his own fears and concerns about the opperations he performs. I like knowing about the relationships of dogs/pets and their owners. There is a quote that I love where he says... "What did this puppy do that stopped you in your tracks and made you say,'come home with me'? Unlike choosing a human partner, pet owners aren't usually set up by well meaning friends. They haven't filled out a detailed online survey that asertaines compatibility. Raher, they rely on instant attraction and trust a gut feeling, an intangible instinct that more often than not ends up being exactly right." Those few lines speaks to me. When I first saw Beeker in the animal shelter I knew instantly that I loved this little dog. In fact after I took him out for a play, I went back and took another dog out to play just because I didn't want my heart to do the choosing. But... it did anyway. I gave my heart to Beeker the instant I saw him sitting quietly in his kennel. He was the dog for me! This book also shares some animal information that makes sense but that I had not previously known, such as the fact that @ 50 percent of the dogs that live to 10 years have some sort of cancer. That Cat's purr when they are happy but also when they are hurt or in pain, and now some research shows that the vibrational sounds and frequencies may have some chemical healing qualities. It's a good book to read if you like animal stories and want a different kind of animal book.

No comments:

Post a Comment