Saturday, May 15, 2010

(81) Forgiveness and Self Control

Everything doesn't always turn out the way you want them to. It's a good thing that dogs are so tollerent. They are so forgiving. Maybe that is one of the reasons we love them so much. We can make promises to them and fail to keep them and they still love us. After getting off of work, I cam home and started on my list of "want to dos". I got the very hairy carpet vaccuumed, and I ran an errand to the Post Office (by way of DQ)with Beeks. Then I started in on making some cards for a number of birthdays coming up. What I realized is that I had promised Beeks to take him on a walk today and I won't have time. I have a dinner engagement and have a number of things that have to be done before I leave (like write this blog), which leave little time to take a good walk with Beeks. I have to put it off until tomorrow. I am finally getting a day off from working and will make sure that Beeks gets a much needed walk. It's suppose to rain tomorrow but we have to get out on a walk before Beeks forgets how to walk at a heel. He has gone outside on the loose each morning with me which gives him some exercise but not the amount that he really needs. I also took him with me when I went to the Post Office today so he got a little change of scenery (and ice cream cone). But I did make a promise to him this morning when I left for work. To be honest I meant to take him when I got home, wanted to but my plan didn't pan out and the promise was easily pushed back to provide room for other urgent activities. I know Beeks will forgive me. Children will remember that a promise was given and will remember if you keep the promise or not. They keep tabs and if too many promises are broken will learn to not trust what you say. Dogs are different. They live in the moment and know that you meant to keep your promise but just couldn't for one reason or another and will still trust you and love you.I keep learning from Beeks and Max. I know that we all are rushed for time and we (people) try our best to mean what we say, so I also want to give others a break when they can't always do what they say.
This morning when Beeker and I were out on our walkabout I was looking in one direction at some different types of fern that are coming up in the woods while Beeks was in another part of the yard sniffing delicous grasses. He let out one long woof ,looked at me, ran to me then back to where he had come. I saw a flash of orange go by down the lane. It was an early morning jogger from what I could see. Beeks took off at the same time. I called to him in my sweet Beekie voice,whistled to him, called to him to COME, in that oh so sickening sweet voice and what do you know? He came back through the woods to me. I sure praised him a lot. I decided that was a good time to keep him at a heel, to reinforce the need to keep up with me and that to be loose was a dog priveledge.I wasn't angry just took it as a teaching moment. We continued on our way around the yard. When we were in the front of the yard, I heard noises from the lane so I had him down-stay. He heard the noises too and we watched the lane together as the orange jogger came back up the lane. It was "Fido's" owner jogging with "Fido". Beeks just stayed where he was. I kept praising him as he sat there watching but not moving. I tell this story because Beeks is really learning to control his own behavior. When he first saw the jogger, he let me know and then ran, (he must have seen Fido too) but didn't run off to engage with them. He edited his own desires and returned to where he knew he was suppose to be. What great self control! What a great dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment