Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wagging the Dog (14)


Beeker is an exceptionally happy dog. He is what I call a Player. He will go to great efforts to get others to engage with him and play. He always starts with the invitation bow, a signal that is a canine request for play. If Max does not reciprocate,then, he will pull at Max's tail in order to get him to roughhouse with him. If this doesn't work he will pull his ear or jump on him. These engagements usually work, but if they don't he will go get one of his toys, say his rope, and put it in Max's face, or even drag it over Max's body to entice him. Max is a good older sibling dog and will agree to any play with Beeks. When they have played long enough to release alot of energy they both release big sighs and then make full body shakes almost simultaneously. I've noticed that when Beeker is happy he wags his tail alot. But if he is overjoyed and happy to see someone he wags his tail in a circle, like a whisk. I haven't figure out if it always goes in the same direction, but it is clearly in a circle. This is his expression of pure Joy. I see him twirling his tail when he knows we are going for a walk. Usually when He sees me putting on my shoes. If Beeks wants attention, usually from a person, he can be more subtle. He will rub up against you or if he really wants you to play with him he will bring you his toy and drop it near you then nose bump you, as if to say," Here, are you blind? Don't you want to have fun? Come on, you have been sitting there for a long time and you need to move." It's great having an external conscience. This is when I go find my shoes and tell him it's time for a walk. Like today. I had been at work this AM and when I got home it was sunny, about 50 degrees, with a little wind. We took our long figure eight walk which takes about an hour if we are really enjoying ourselves. Today we had a good walk and Beeks found many interesting things. He was very interested in every squirrel he smelled, saw or heard. There were a lot of busy squirrels out today and Beeks was very occupied with each one. As is customary after our walks, I get Beeks into a sit at the top of our drive and then take his gentle leader off and release him to run around the yard. He loves this and he is F-A-S-T. He is so fast as he runs around the house about 5 times to let out any excess energy after the long walk. Well today, he ran around and then ran like a crazy dog through the woods. In front and behind our house. I called him (this usually gets him to come up to our front door), but he didn't come. I whistled to him, and he still didn't come. This was really unusual for Beeker. If he doesn't come when I call him it is because he is doing his dooty. I can also usually see him either in the front or the back because his tail is so tall and I can see the white tip of his tail. Not today, I walked up to the cul-de-sac to see if he was in any of the neighbor's yard, but he wasn't to be seen. Then I turned to go back down the driveway, toward our front door and there he was on the door step. Looking at me like..."Where have you been"?
I just looked back at him, kinda mad. He hadn't come when I called and he didn't react to my whistle. Boy was he trouble. When I got closer I saw that he was completely wet. From head to toe. He had run down to the creek behind our house, and then back again in that short time. His tail was wagging so hard, and in a circle. I'd almost swear he was smiling.Yep, He's a player.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of running around the house to let off extra energy _after_ a run! I would try that if I didn't live above my landlords.

    ReplyDelete