Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Smart Dog (23)


Well, some days just don't turn out like a person wants them to. Everyone has days like this and this is just my day. I have just spent 4 hours working writing this blog and with a quick miss touch of a key, I lost my work. Even though this blog auto saves the blog every so often I have lost all my work. Well, I am determined to write every day so here it goes. Again!

I have a very SMART dog. Beeks is cute and smart. He loves to play and he is always trying to get one of us to play with him. If he can get Max to play he will do all he can to engage him(bite his ankle, his ears, his tail). He loves to play pull with the rope with Max and with us. When he can't get us to play he chew on one of his toys. He loves to chew and as I have said before, he only chews toys he has been given. He loves his Nylabone Dinosaur. This has gotten me thinking that he needs some other brain engaging toys to play with. I've started researching to find some. He does have a few toys that take some thinking so let me tell you about those first. His Busy Buddy Bottle by Premier. This is a hard plastic bottle that can have treats placed through the screw off bottom. On top is a hole with a rope coming out and the dog can only get treats through moving the rope up and down and manipulating the bottle. This uses hours of enjoyment. We have to monitor Beeks because as soon as he gets the treats out he starts in on eating the rope. Another favorite is the Premier Squirrel Buddy. This is a squirrel shaped kong that has small fingers in the opening that restricts the treats from coming out too quickly. Jessie James and Juli introduced us to this one. Thanks Guys! The last Premier product that we don't have but want is the Busy Buddy Twist n'Turn. This toy can be separated and moist or dry stuff can be placed inside. The toy looks like a small disc. I think this may be our next dog purchase. For the price and durability I think Premier is the best value.

Having reviewed our current dog toys, I looked on Google for toys for smart dogs. The hands down favorite thinking dog toys are by Nina Ottosson. Two of our favorites (by looking at the websites and the Utube videos) are the Dog Brick game, and the Tornado. both games and most of the Ottosson games are wooden. The dog brick game has movable slats covering treats. The dog has to use its nose,paws,or mouth to move the part and has to remember where the treats are. The tornado is a wooden multi layer disk with holes for treats. The dog has to move the disk to align the holes to get to the treats. There are a number of other games by Nina Ottosson and I recommend the website as well as the review I found on line.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/11_6/features/Interactive-Dog-Toys_16037-1.html
Here's the clincher... Ottosson games are from Sweden and so shipping/distribution is expensive. These games are over $50. Yea Beeks could eat a lot of plastic toys for $50, but where is he going to get his intellectual stimulation?
I think we are going to ask for the Dog Brick Game for my birthday. Won't that be a great party for my very smart dog n me?

1 comment:

  1. Good morning -
    My name is Re Noel and I'm a freelance writer working on an article about smart dogs and puzzle toys. I ran across your blog about Beeker and was wondering if you'd be willing to be interviewed for the story (deadline Tuesday 3/23). You can reach me at noel.writers@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete