Sunday, March 21, 2010

(26) What Kind of Dog is He?

I read about a test that I can send for that will tell me what Beeker's heritage is. The test is either a mouth swab or a blood test(depending on cost and number of Breeds I want to check against). With a mixed breed like Beeker it would be very interesting to find out what different breeds are in him. The humane society paperwork, when I adopted him, said he was Cattle dog and Australian Sheppard mix. I think they were guessing because I don't think he looks or behaves exclusively like those two breeds. For one thing, he has extremely long legs for a Cattle dog. He is much slimmer and longer than most Cattle dogs I have seen as well. Sometimes I tell him that we got an extra middle section of dog when we got him. His ears flop over differently than a Cattle dog's. If he's part Sheppard,he should have a longer coat. He does have some longer hair on the scruff of his neck, but not anything to write home about. I saw a picture of a smooth coated collie that looks somewhat like him, but again that isn't really like Beeks either. The tip of white on his tail and the white on black dappling are somewhat characteristic of a Cattle dog, but he has really darkened over the two years since he came to live with us. He has a nose that is longer than a Cattle dog too, more like a Collie or small lab. Having described all the idiosyncrasies of Beeker's physique, you can see why we would like to know what genes he has swimming in his "pool".

The thing is, does it matter? He certainly has his own personality. He has some of the Cattle dog instinct like biting at the heels and necks of those he is trying to herd. He is curious, and happy and engaging. He is a player and he wants to explore the world around him, so would knowing that he has Labrador, Sheppard,Border Collie or wolf hound make a difference in the way I react towards or train Beeker? Of course it wouldn't. It may make a difference in health precautions. Some dog breeds are prone to some health issues like hip dysplasia, or blindness. So maybe that would make a difference in our Vet visits, or maybe ignorance is bliss. If I knew that he was "prone" to certain health situations I might be more likely to play differently with him.

Know what? I think it's more interesting to surmise what Beeker might be rather than really knowing. I can compare and search all of the dog books looking for that one picture that might look like him. I can guess, challenge him to show me his "Germain Sheppard" side, all day. We can have a lot more fun anticipating what he might be than if we really knew. He can be something new every day and we can celebrate all the breeds in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment