Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thanks to Those Who came Before (32)

I've talked before about the two Newfoundland dogs that we had when Max first came to live with us. Belle and Beau were two wonderful dogs that were truly devoted to us, and enriched our lives for almost 10 years. Over the years there have been many other dogs that have taught me life lessons and for them I am grateful.
When I was young, almost four we got our first family dog, Gretel. Gretel was a small yellow mutt. My mother remembers her to have been a mix of terrier and lab mix, but her size and heritage made little difference to three small children and two young parents who found a willing companion in the 1960’s. We lived somewhat out of town then, where the gravel lane made a long loop. Family pets spent most days running around looking for exciting dog activities with other dogs and children. Although I was young I remember learning to ride my bike on the gravel, falling and having Gretel there to comfort me. She was patient and understanding as only a pet can be, I could cry all I needed and she would understand. Once when I was visiting my grandmother and was playing with the neighborhood children, their family dog bit me resulting in multiple stitches to my mouth. When the ordeal was over and we returned home, I lay my head upon Gretel crying that one of her friends had bitten me. She understood. She did not judge me; she just gave me the unconditional love I so desperately wanted from her. Gretel also taught me that life was for exploring. Once when she returned home from a day’s outing she came with a baby duckling (I’m sure stolen from a neighbor). Although wet, the duckling once released, only to be corralled and released again. Gretel was the patient silent partner in play when friends were not available. We would dress her up and we would use her for the imaginary play that only small children can create. Gretel also taught me that pets fill emotional places for people and that off leash exploration for dogs can be full of fun as well as frightful experiences. Gretsy once ran out to the highway and was run over. My father not only had to tell his small children that the accident had taken place, but decide if medical care would be provided. I learned that unexpected and frightful things could happen to those you love. But I also learned that sometimes you have to tell people you love that something frightful and sad has happened. That had to be hard for my parents. Thank you Gretel for teaching me about caring for those you love. For showing me patience, creativity and exploration.
When I was first married I found a puppy and its littermates wandering around a large field near the school where I worked. After watching them for days, a coworker and I rescued the puppies and I took one home. Berek became the first pet of my adult life. We said that we were PIT. Parents in Training. With Berek I learned that those you are responsible for take lots of attention. Berek liked to chew everything. As opposed to Beeker who chews only those things I give him, Berek ate anything he could get his paws on to occupy his time. He once ate turbine oil in a bottle that my father was using to reconstruct our washing machine. He grabbed a light bulb and crunched it in his mouth until he had consumed most of it. He had a cast iron stomach. He was my first child. I saw him grow up. Looking back I probably neglected him too much. He was an anxious dog. He became severely anxious when fireworks would blast on the fourth of July, or during a thunder storm. We had to sedate him with pills from the Vet. He would bark and hide and try to escape the house in order to stop the pain in his ears. Berek taught me responsibility for others. He was there when my children were born. He was there when they needed to have that unconditional love only a pet can give. I saw Berek grow to be an old dog. He got arthritis and become almost deaf. When I got my divorce, Berek was part of the separation agreement. I learned that I couldn’t always have everything I wanted. I cried a lot over losing Berek. Thank you Berek for teaching me about loving and letting go.
When Brad and I got married we merged our households together. Two great boys. Two cats. No dogs. After about a year, we decided we needed a dog (instead of another child) to bond our families. That’s when Belle entered our lives. Brad’s family had always had dogs like ours. His Aunt had been a rescuer of Newfies and I loved big dogs. We contacted a breeder and chose Belle from a litter of 13. Belle was the smallest and quietest of the litter. We learned that although small she was quietly persistant and patient. Belle taught us about accepting what you are given and of all the dogs in my life she was the epitome of loyalty. Belle would do whatever we asked of her, even when she was in extreme pain with cancer. We didn’t know she was ill until the very end. Thank you Belle for teaching me about loyalty. When Belle was 18 months old, we adopted another Newfoundland, a male named Beau. Belle taught Beau everything he knew. We liked to say that Beau knew his place. Belle told him where it was. Beau needed leadership, from Belle or Brad. Beau loved Belle and she loved him. They were a great pair. They played together and kept each other company. Together Belle and Beau taught me about good relationships, of give and take. Beau was the silent type. He was the quiet humorist. He would bark at you if you put a newspaper on your head or if he thought he saw his own shadow. But Beau was also the kindest of dogs. He went along to get along. Thank you Beau for teaching me that trust is powerful. Thanks for teaching me that quiet cooperation is part of a good relationship.
Then there was Max. Max teaches me that life is not always what we think it is. He came to us with many difficult behaviors and over the years he has learned to become a member of our family. He’s a wonderful transformation, a diamond in the rough. Thanks Max for teaching me that lemons don’t just give us lemonade, sometimes they gives us lemon chiffon pie too.

When I started this blog I thought I would write about all of the dogs that have taught me to be a better owner for Beeker. What I realize now is that all of the dogs that have been in my life have helped me be a better me. Dogs are a blessing and have enriched my life. I can’t imagine my life without them and am so grateful that they have been in my life. How terrific that Beeks is in my life too. He teachs me about taking each day at a time and seeing the humor and detail of each moment. Thanks Beeks for being in my life. Thanks to all of those who came before.

No comments:

Post a Comment