Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring is in the Air(15)


It is absolutely beautiful here today. The temperature got to 68 degrees and the wind died down by the afternoon so with the sun shining it really felt like Spring. I so needed to get outside. I worked the AM so when I got home, the sun was really melting away the remaining snow. At first, I thought about just hanging at home and taking a nap(did I mention that I love naps as much as the dogs do?)but then I got pressure from Beeks to "Go Out!". I figured it was so warm that I took each dog out front and brushed them. I did this first to Beeker and then to Maxie. They really liked having the individual attention and I liked being able to have my time with them as well. They just laid on the driveway and soaked up the sun. It was soothing to brush them and spend the time talking to each one. I love warm weather! Then I decided to walk Beeks down past the creek and up the next street to Hwy 150. We call this walk the 150 walk. Creative Huh? Beeks likes this walk because he gets a tremendous amount of woodsy smells on the way. I also thought that if we walked past the creek, Beeks might out himself and let me know how he got all wet yesterday. He didn't even make a sideways glance at the scene of the crime. I mean, he did look at the creek in a casual way as if to say, "yea, its a creek, big deal...". He really got sniffing when he saw three squirrels running in the woods however. His head goes up and he stacks at attention. He also tries to put his nose in every hole he can get to. I wonder if he has terrier in him as well as cattle dog and Sheppard. He does have the "beek" for smells. I have read that dogs are able to smell odors in a different way than humans. They are able to put a time stamp of sorts on smells. Like being able to tell how long ago a smell was placed by the intensity of the odor. Wouldn't that be wonderful to have the ability to tell how long ago a friend had gone by so that you could follow them and catch up? Okay so we have phones, but I think we have lost the depth of some of our senses, because we don't need them so much anymore. Beeks smells everything, including me when I return after being gone. Do you think he can tell where I have been and with whom? Do you think he thinks I have been unfaithful?
Any way, after our walk, I needed to go to the Post Office to pick up a package and you know what that means. Yep, its a nice day and Beeks and I are right across from the DQ. Its ice cream time again! I get the medium vanilla cone with a cup and then I dump the cone in the cup. After I eat most of the ice cream and there is only about an inch and a half, Beeks get the rest of the cone. This is our favorite thing about Summer, Spring and Fall. Car rides and DQ!

No comments:

Post a Comment