Thursday, March 25, 2010

(30)A Pointing Dog

I was having this discussion just the other day, in relation to the ability of humans being the only animal/mammal that is able to point to an object and follow that point to identify an object outside themselves. It was suggested that primates(us humans) pointed outside ourselves in order to alert others to the fact that snakes were at our feet. My argument was that I can point to an object on the floor and Beeker will respond by following my point and pick up the object to which I have pointed. I have done research to this effect numerous times("here beeks, get the ice cube") and feel confident that dogs are also able to follow a pointed finger to its conclusion. They may not be able to do the pointing (although some may suggest the Pointer dogs can point)but they can and do follow a pointed finger. In the March issue of www.thebark.com I read (http://www.thebark.com/content/domestication-and-social-cognition-dogs )The domestication and Social Cognition of Dogs by Chris McNamara. This article suggests that dogs have evolved and domesticated to the point where they are attuned to observing people's social cues such as pointing to an object. My father (whom I was having this discussion just the other day) suggested that research by Lynne A. Isbell suggests otherwise. Her book, The Fruit, the Tree, and the Serpent: Why We See So Well, suggests that only humans have evolved to point, and follow that point. I haven't read her book, but it may also be interesting to read. My interpretation is that humans can point(dogs can't) but dogs have evolved to the point in their domestication where they are highly in tuned to follow our pointing. Now, add to this, information I have just read by (my new favorite author) Temple Grandin in her book, Animals in Translation that because dogs have vision of 75/20 as opposed to human vision of 20/20, dogs can't see as clearly as humans(p.40). What humans see as far away as 75 feet, dogs need to be as close as 20 feet to see. Therefore, they can't see as sharply what is right under their feet. But their noses are much more acute. Grandin suggests that dogs can't see what has fallen if they don't see it fall. So...where does this leave us? I think this means that given the right human social cues that dogs have been domesticated to be highly attuned to follow, they are able to follow our hands and pointing fingers to pick up the strong smell of the object we are pointing to. If you practice this behavior over and over, the dog will learn that there is always something interesting and positive at the end of the pointing. You decide. Follow the links to Chris McNamera's article, to Lynne A. Isbell's book, and read Temple Grandin's book, Animals in Translation (just because its good!)and see what you think. I'll be waiting to hear from you. I'm going to start paying much more attention to my pointing. I want to see if Beeks follows my pointing every time I point or just every so often at longer distances.

No comments:

Post a Comment