Monday, March 22, 2010

The Challenge (27)


Today was an interesting day. First of all, it was a fairly cool temperature outside today. Non the less Beeks and I went for our figure eight walk. We really needed it. We have had a lot of pent up energy. Since it has been raining so much lately (okay, just the past three days)the dogs have not gotten a really good walk. Beeks loved it and so did I.

While I was at work today,Brad texted me to let me know that I had a comment on one of the blogs from a writer wanting to interview me on behalf of Beeks, regarding his intellectual ability. Yes, she saw the blog titled "My Smart Dog". Re writes for the web magazine WagWorld and is writing an article on Smart Dogs and the toys they like. I talked to Re this afternoon and had a great time talking to her about how wonderful and smart my dog is. We talked about how he engages us in play and what interactive toys he likes to play with. Re told me that she would let me know when the article will be published. I'll let you know. Also, checkout the Web Mag, WagWorld at: www.wagworld.com. It has lots of dog info about traveling with your dog and cute dogs to look at too.

After my profession of Beeks superior intelligence and the difficulty in finding smart toys for dogs, I decided to invent a challenging toy for both Beeks and Max. I took our metal kitchen colander and turned it upside down on the floor with dog treats inside to see how long it would take the dogs to get to the treats. So far the colander has been on the floor for 5 hours and neither one of the dogs has gotten close to turning it over. I thought that they needed me to teach them about how to get to the treats so I lifted it up and showed them how to flip it. I gave them each one of the treats, and I even (on the recommendation of Temple Grandin) left them to investigate it on their own. But so far no movement towards flipping it over. They both have approached it and have sniffed it but no attempt to get it over for the treats. It does make a tinny noise, so maybe that's an issue, but so much for my smart dog!

Well, that's it for today, oh,yea, tonight we watched a fantastic movie. We watched P.S I Love You. There are a ton of stars in it and it is a great story. I cried all the way through but I also laughed all the way through too. Rent this movie. You will love it all the way to the end. (There's a dog in it too).

1 comment:

  1. Both dogs are really good at eating and chewing only items given to them (Except for Nana's knitting and Jessica's Uggs). So, I'm thinking that they don't view the colander as theirs. Maybe we should try with a dig towel of plastic bucket. Otherwise I am baffled. Both dogs know what is under there!

    ReplyDelete