Friday, March 5, 2010

The Girls (10)


Today was so much fun! I love having the girls here. Beeks can't figure out where all the energy is coming from. When Alison and Jess came down this AM, he was kinda confused and curious. The high pitched squeals and flighty movements are so much fun. Beeks is getting an enormous amount of attention from them too. When they arrived last night, we put both dogs behind the gate so we could welcome them without fear of dog slobber. I was so impressed when we released the dogs, how they calmly approched both girls to get their smells but didn't jump up. Max is really imporving in this. GO Max! Beeks just wanted to find out if they were players and low and behold,they are! allison really got into playing with Beeks. This AM it was really nice out (about 50 degrees) so it felt good to be outside. I took Beeks out and worked with him,throwing a treat tube and tried to get him to fetch and bring. This sort of worked. Beeks really liked fetching, and tossing it up in the air, and running with the tube. However, I had to call and call and plead and get excited to get him to return to me with it. He did come back a couple of times to me when I called him but without the tube. I must say that he came back to me finally with the tube and I counted 7 returns with the tube. Figuring out that a treat was to be had if he returned to me with the tube was the main catch. He will do most things I ask for food. I got great satisfaction playing with Beeks today. In Temple Grandin's book, Animals make us Human, she suggests that teaching dogs new tricks is important for exercising their minds and for activating their SEEKING emotion. She also says dogs need:

.social contact so their PANIC system doesn't get activated
.games and play with thei owners to activate the SEEKING system
.interesting things to do --especiallylong walks--that arouse their SEEKING system

With specific regard to playing, she says dogs especially need the play system to be stimulatedbecause they never grow up completely. It's good to rotate their toys so that they keep the interest of the dog. I remember doing this with my kis when they were little. She says that the dog rule is ...Old toys are boring; new toys are fun. I know that is true. Beeks will get use to his toys then forget about them until I gring out a new/old toy. I'm going to start to rotate his toys. I found an old Kong disk that hold three treats and brought it out this afternoon for Beeks. He's been playing with it in a completely different way than he did when he was younger. Beyond trying to get the treats out, he tosses it and chases it as it rolls away, then tosses it again.
Tonight after we returned from a University Visit with the girls, we decided to watch a movie. The picture attached is just prior to us starting to watch the movie. Both dogs were in heaven, with lots and lots of attention. What a great day with The Girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment