Sunday, March 7, 2010

Recuperation(12)

Well, Our guests left today @noon, and by 12:15 the dogs were asleep. Brad says they're CD's. That's Cashed Dogs! It began to rain here and so this adds to the quiet that seems to engulfed our home. We(all of us) so enjoyed having the girls and then the family here. The dogs all got along so well, Beeker engaged each of the guest dogs to play, then eventually enticing our nephew Bus to play with him and even teach him some tricks. Bus is like a dog whisperer. He is 8 years old and he is so calm and confident with both Max and Beeker. Any dog actually. Bus got Beeker to "down" with only a hand signal and using the work "lay". Down is the hardest of commands for Beeks. He obliges me with "sit", "stay","come", even "stand", but "down" is not his strong suit. Up until now, we (Beeks & me)have kinda been working it out. I say "down", Beeks just looks at me, then I say "down" again, Beeks continues to look at me, then I try to draw him down with my hand. He watches my hand, sort of bowing, but not giving in to the command, looking up at me. Then I usually push him down from his shoulders and at the same time lifting his front legs gently. Then Beeker goes"down", and I praise him like he's done something on his own. "Good Beeker". Honestly, Bus got Beeker in a sit with one request, then he used his hand and said,"lay". That's it. Beeks went right down! Now, before you say ,"Yea, a fluke, a chance happening". Well, Bus did this with Beeker four times! Each time Beeks looked at Bus then followed the command! I am so going to change my command to Beeker, from now on I'm using "lay" to get him down. Thanks Bus!
Maxie had a big challenge with all the activity this weekend. He loved all of the attention he received from the girls. He did get pretty ramped up with all of the canine energy around. If the other dogs were playing, roughhousing, and having a good time, Max wanted to intervene. Something about others having too good of a time without him, gets him anxious.
Both dogs, but especially Beeker is exhausted. Usually when I get up or move he follows. Not this afternoon. He has stayed in one place, barely taking notice of my presence. Truth is, tonight we are all happy and tired CD's.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a photo of Bus????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! How's Beeker doing on the "lay" command now that Bus is gone? I like the term CD's.

    ReplyDelete