Saturday, August 28, 2010

(186) Saturday with the Dogs

I didn’t have to work today but Brad did so I got to do what I love doing on Saturday’s. Beeks and I went to garage sales. Beeks knew the minute I woke up that something was up because he followed me around the house waiting for me to pot my shoes on. When I went into the kitchen he followed me even though I was just getting another cup of coffee. When the time actually came for us to venture out he was ecstatic. He twirled around like a ballerina (Okay a male ballet dancer). He was excited. I was focused on one particular sub division that was having a sale but I also knew that I was getting there late as far as garage sales go. That is not the point. It’s the thrill of the hunt. Unfortunately there were no bargains by the time I got into town. I was able to drive through and only stopped at a few garages. I actually didn’t buy anything. So with garage sale money in my pocket we headed to my favorite paper store to see if they had any new papers to buy. They didn’t have anything new but they did have a sale on paper so I stocked up with my garage sale money. Having “new” paper motivated me to get busy making cards this afternoon and soon I realized that I needed a straw for one of the projects that I am working on. Unfortunately, I couldn’t locate even one straw. Not one, so I did what any logical thoughtful, creative person would do. I got Beekster and we went to McDonald’s for an ice cream cone and straws. Worked perfectly. I got the straws I needed for my art and Beeks and I got ice cream. Wonderful and tasty.


Now we have a guest staying with us for the night. A nephew is in town overnight until his parents come to pick him up and take him back to college tomorrow. Like most college students he was at a concert last night and didn’t get much sleep. We happen to be the “between” stop so it works out perfectly. I picked him up at the McDonalds (no not another ice cream) and we headed home. I gave him the option of sleep or food first and he chose food first, then sleep. I had forgotten how much college boys eat. I made spaghetti and meatballs and all of it is gone! After he sleeps we will make dinner and I am sure he will again eat something.

Max was so excited and ramped up when we got home after I picked up our nephew. I had prepared for his initial meeting by putting the dogs in the laundry room behind the gate. After we had been home for a while, we let the dogs out with surprisingly little excitement. I had shared that it is best to ignore Max so with that Maxie was calmer and only needed a little sniff to realize that this was a friend and not a foe. He just keeps getting better and better about correct behavior with initial meetings. We also keep getting better and better with Max meeting new people. I think that the initial meet and greet will always be his “issue” and the more we can assist him with making it a calm low stress situation the better he will do. Now tomorrow when the rest of the family comes to pick up our nephew will be another story. OMG, hope for the best for us. We will just do this same routine and all will be well. (I hope). Beeks will be the steady one with greetings, he will also be the one that will alert Maxie of approaching visitors. He’s good at that. It seems to be a lazy Saturday now. Chez and Beeker are on the bed sleeping, and Maxie’s on the floor next to us sleeping as well. The house is quiet for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment