Tuesday, August 10, 2010

(168) Another Day and Tired Dogs

My dogs are tired! I don’t mean Beeker and Maxie. I mean my dogs…my feet. I’ve been working 8 hour days on my feet and moving all of the time, so I am tired tonight I want to go to sleep right now. College book rush is difficult work as difficult as any working dog knows. Brad came home two times today to check on Maxie and to see if he is feeling Okay. He was and by the time I got home at 6:30 he was quite happy and even bouncy. He and Beeker wrestled around and now are lying on my bed as I type this blog. Good thing they are happy to lie around since I have to get his finished. Brad is working late so its just me and my boys.

This morning I let Beeks out with me early to walkabout because it has been so hot (102 today)lately that I don’t have the energy to be out in the heat and know that it isn’t so good for anyone to be out in it too long. Anyway, as we were walking around we heard our neighbor’s garage door open and out came one of the girls and her mother Sandy. We love visiting with them and don’t get to visit with them as much as we’d like so whenever we hear them and we’re outside we…Beeker likes t run to the edge of the property line to wait until they invite him to some play. They did and he did. As I was getting caught up with all of the family news, Beeker was running around their yard like he does in our yard only in the neighbor’s yard he was keeping his eye on little Morgan. She was cruising around on her scooter and as fast as she was going, Beeker was keeping his eye on all of her actions. Morgan and her family have a huge swing that hangs from their front oak tree and the girls love to swing and twist as the swing. Beeker is fascinated by their ability to fly. He watches them and then runs around in front of them. Today he was interested in all of the little acorns that have fallen from the trees. He first tried eating them and then when he figured out they were not as tasty as he would have liked, he started flipping them out his mouth and then watching it roll down their drive way. He would flip it and then pounce on it and then run to chase after it then eat it and then spit it out again in a different direction. Too funny and we all watched him create his own version of fetch. Juli has told me of her dog JesseJames’ creative games. Jesse takes a ball or toy and drops it from a top step and then chases it down the stairs to see if he can beat it to the bottom. Then up he goes to try again. I love to see dogs and their creative abilities in problem solving.

This reminds me that I’m looking for a copy of Time Magazine’s cover story about how animals think. Have you read it? I didn’t get a copy and since it is a weekly magazine I missed it by the time I heard about the article. If you have seen/read it, it should be an interesting discussion of the development of language.

Well, more work tomorrow and Max is still convalescing. We haven’t heard yet about the sample Brad took in for tests today. As I said he was excited to see me and has nudged me twice to go outside without results so I have no clue what is going on but he is eating again and seems happy. I’ll take that!

No comments:

Post a Comment