Monday, August 16, 2010

(174) Volunteering for the Humane Society

This evening Brad and I went to the monthly orientation for people interested in volunteering at the Champaign County Humane Society. Some time ago, I decided that because I write this blog and express my views on supporting local animal humane societies as well as volunteering for animal groups, I proclaimed that I would be volunteering at our local humane society. Brad was totally on board and so I looked up information about doing so on line. I have shared that our society requires that all interested adult persons attend this orientation which is held once a month. Tonight was the August meeting. I met Brad at our county Library (which is new and absolutely beautiful) and attended the meeting. I worked today so met Brad there. I was extremely early so I was able to peruse the new library, and then about fifteen minutes before the meeting was to start, I went to the posted area and wait until the doors to the auditorium opened. While I waited, I noted that there I was among about 10 other women waiting for the doors to open. I saw a variety of types waiting, older moms, college students, working women, and so I too waited to get the scoop on volunteering for our shelter. I thought, OK, I’ll be able to offer something to this great agency. As time of the meeting came closer, I noted that more Brad still hadn’t arrived and yet more volunteers were arriving. At about 5:55 the doors opened and so we lined up to enter, being handed a pamphlet and an application to fill out. I took two and found a seat in the second row to wait for Brad. Soon, my partner arrived as others also came into the room. When the presentation began there were 7 rows filled with wanting volunteers, I counted about 50 people in all. Then we began with explanations of volunteer projects including adoption counselors, Kennel assistants, Art department needs, Humane Educators, Socializers for small animals, cats, and dogs, Training & Behaviorist assistants, Medical Lab assistants, Fostering, and Special Events. After a PowerPoint presentation about areas for volunteering, the process was explained. This included the necessary hour requirements and prerequisites for walking animals and interacting with them. For all interactions with the animals, volunteers must first sign up for a tour and training then for 6 weeks work as a kennel assistant which means kennel cleaning. After 6 weeks, volunteers are promoted to socializers or training or behaviorists. The Medical Lab program seemed interesting to me however, it was evident that vet tech students were their focal interest. In order to volunteer in the medical lab I would need to email the humane society to request an interview and then be interviewed to see if I would qualify for their program. In the end, we got the strong understanding that our county humane society has many volunteers (wouldn’t most agencies love that issue?) but uses this orientation to vet people from volunteering. I feel this is a shame. Brad and I would love to have a connection with the group that gave us some of the best animals we have ever had. We would love to give back to our community as well. I still believe that working with local animal group is a good thing, that volunteering aids in education of the community to the needs of our domesticated pets, but it is extremely difficult to fit my wish to volunteer into their small parameter of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment