Thursday, August 12, 2010

(170) Eating and Heating

Maxie is ravenous! He is eating like never before. Its hard for me to believe that he is the same dog that would not eat anything in his bowl and had to be hand fed. Maybe it’s the new diet he’s on (chicken, rice sweet potato, and green beans) but it could also be the Panacur sprinkles (a dewormer that must taste really good). We were called and told he didn’t test positive for any parasites. Then again maybe he feels a lot better and is finally hungry. We are still working on his back end but we feel like we are making progress. I have taken to feeding the dogs inside on these hot days. Just seems wrong to feed them out in the hot garage. I wouldn’t feel like eating in 100 degree heat if it were me so I can’t feed the dogs in that hot weather.

Speaking of hot weather, it is taking its toll on the dog’s coats. They are both shedding like there is no tomorrow. I asked some coworkers if their dogs were shedding a lot right now and they all said yes, that it seemed like they were, more than last year. Most dogs shed two times a year but wow if they aren’t really leaving a trail for me to clean up. It also seems to me that since they live in an air conditioned environment they wouldn’t be shedding like dogs that live outside. So tonight during our movie time, I will be brushing Beeker AGAIN.

On my short walk about this morning I realized that our garden is looking pretty bad. We have had two weeks of 90+ heat and even though the humidity is also high the plants need some reprieve and are looking wilted. The few flowers that we had earlier in the summer are now looking droopy or have dropped their petals. The blackeyed susans and the cone flowers are crying for a swifter death. Soon it will be winter and I will be complaining that I need the warmth of the sun in my bones. When I was a little girl and complained that I was too hot, my father told me to close my eyes and imagine the coldest day possible and I would feel better. He would verbally lead me with some descriptions of cold things to imagine and soon I would believe I was cooler. Still works on me to this day. Mind over matter, my father was so progressive. Or maybe he just wanted me to stop complaining about something that couldn’t be changed. It works well for cold in the winter also.

This has been a long week and we will be happy to have the weekend to recover. College Fall Rush is always so busy and then for three weeks it will be go, go, go…

No comments:

Post a Comment