Thursday, August 5, 2010

(163) Dog O'Meter




Brad usually feeds the dogs in the AM and so feeding Max his new diet this morning was his gig. He said he prepared Max’s bowl with some kibble on the bottom, then left over rice, then some more kibble and green beans. This wasn’t what we talked about last night but in the end it may do what we wanted and bulk up his diet with more fiber. I will make him some rice this morning so he can eat it for his dinner tonight. In the end, Max did eat what Brad gave him for Breakfast so I guess that is a good thing.

For Dinner this evening Max had green beans and rice. I made the rice before I went to work so it was all made and ready to eat when it was his dinner time. I decided to give him green beans in addition to the rice because the beans are just fiber content and innocuous. Max needed no prodding to eat and he left only a little rice, maybe two tablespoons full. As I was letting the dogs back into the house, I noticed that Max came from Beeker’s bowl. If I didn’t know Beeker so well I might have thought that Max had eaten some of Beeker’s food, however I know Beeker eats two times as fast as Max does so there was not chance that even one crumb was left for Max to find.

We were just visited by our teenage neighbors. I was sitting here typing away and Max started barking (nothing new if Brad isn’t home from work yet) and I tried to get Max and then Beeker to quiet down, come into the room, without success. Then the barking got louder and more serious,(read more excited). I finally realized that someone was coming to our door. As both dogs were getting more excited and Max was lunging at the door, I realized that I was going to have to answer the door and so got up and headed out to try to calm the masses and kennel the dogs. One look and I saw that it was the two girls from across the street, one of whom watches and feeds the dogs when we are out of town. Max knows these girls but he always gets freaked out when someone comes to the door. He’s not so polite at first but if I tell him to “kennel up”, he will go without any problem. Then I can answer the door.
So after kenneling up the dogs in the laundry room, I invited my guests in and was introduced to Amy’s new beau who was fairly wigged out by the bear at the front door when they arrived. They asked to see Max and Beeker so I gave them my regular routine about meeting Max initially. That is, no looking at him, no talking directly to him and being calm in his presence. This really helps lower Max’s anxiety and he calms down so much quicker. Max came calmly back with me and then went straight for smelling all three of them, remembering Amy and her sister Becca. However he was really interested in the new beau because, as it turned out he has a dog himself. Max is quick! After a few minutes of remembering smells he was ready to be petted and wormed his way to each of their hands. Even Becca who is somewhat anxious about big dogs, especially Max, petted him (when he wasn’t looking of course)! Beeks knows how to work a crowd. He can get his nose into anyone’s hand or up anyone’s shorts (thanks Amy). I think Amy likes to tell her friends that she is Max’s dog sitter because he is so big and can be so intimidating if you don’t know him or not confident around him. She just loves him and it impresses her friends (especially boyfriends) when she introduces them to Max. Max so wanted the new boyfriend to pet him and kept leaning up against him. He did finally pet Max with caution but I think in the end, Max won him over. Maybe I should loan out Max for a Boyfriend Meter (or Meeter). Hummm…this could be profitable!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment