Saturday, June 26, 2010

(123) The Barker Report


Today started out hot and proceeded to get Damn Hot! We have a heat advisory which is interesting since temps are only supposed to get up to 90degrees today. I decided that I really wanted garden grown tomatoes so since this is Saturday and that means Farmers Market, Beeks and I got up and headed down town to see what we could find. I wanted to go early so that we could get there and back before it got too hot for either of us. We got to the market and were able to find fresh grown tomatoes but the price wasn’t very good. They were selling great beef steak tomatoes for $3 a pound. That ended up giving me just two tomatoes but I guess that will be enough to satisfy my hunger for tomatoes. I wish our yard was sunny enough to allow us to grow tomatoes but my one attempt to grow container tomatoes was a disaster. We had stringy plants and two tiny tomatoes, one of which never did turn red. So I am destined to buy farmers market tomatoes for $3 a pound. The real exercise was to take Beekeer to a crowded place with lots of people and dogs. He did great. He was curious of other dogs but he only pulled to meet them then he relaxed and walked with me. I’d give him a B+. His only issue in the whole experience was when we first started out, driving out of our lane when we met two dog walkers and four dogs walking opposite to us. Beeks did his Bark-o-Rama episode until we had passed the group, then settled down for the rest of our outing. My inclination is that he is defending the car from what he believes are a threat and as I remember Taylor Grandin suggesting that dogs and other animals are so specific when it comes to fears, I can only guess that Beeks learned from Max that when he is in the car he must defend the car from threats? Well it may not even matter why he does this action but I hope that we can figure out what to do about it. My yelling at him to quit barking or trying to shame him when it happens does not do anything to stop the behavior. I think he believes that I am just joining him in the excitement of barking.
My father sent me a link to a dog concert given in Australia. It does not give an audio of the music but it is interesting to think about how our culture has changed to the point that we are now so much more accepting of dogs as part of our society and families. Even as family members. The link is:
http://www.billboard.com/news/laurie-anderson-plays-concert-for-dogs-at-1004095775.story#/news/laurie-anderson-plays-concert-for-dogs-at-1004095775.story
Speaking of family members… My sister has just taken off for a drive across the country to Idaho (my parents are spending the summer there) and then on to Seattle (where her son and girlfriend live with Squiggles the IG). She is traveling with her dog JesseJames. I am so jealous! To be honest, she asked me if I wanted to travel with her, taking Beeks with me. I would have loved that, but we are so low on funds this year I couldn’t afford to go. I will just stay here and live vicariously through her and JesseJames. They will have a lot of fun and adventure together. She left yesterday and traveled to Omaha, where they stayed with a friend. JesseJames had to sleep in the car because the friend’s house was not dog friendly and Juli said she had a nightmare that her car got impounded and when she realized it had been impounded she called and located the car but couldn’t find her dog JesseJames. In the dream, she kept getting transferred to different departments that kept transferring her to other departments since a dog was found in the car and the car impound department was not in charge of dogs. I guess Juli was a little anxious about leaving her dog in the car over night. We laughed about it but it is a difficult situation to have to leave a cherished dog in the car. I will keep you updated on Juli and Jesse’s travels as they drive across the country, a sort of traveling update or The Barker Report.

No comments:

Post a Comment