Sunday, July 11, 2010

(138) Volunteer Anyone?



I got an email with an attachment that I want to include with this post. Chelsea (aka Squiggles mom) sent it to me. It announces the Iggy fundraiser for the Seattle area and it’s a cute poster for a worthwhile cause. Please take a look at it. Now, I understand that unless you live in the Seattle area you are unlikely to attend this fundraiser but still there is something of value to it. Chelsea and Eric are two of the most avid dog volunteers I know. This being said, I believe volunteering is an important way to give back and also to enrich a project beyond its boundaries. When people volunteer they do it because they have a passon for the project or because they want to meet others with the same passion or because they want to learn more about something. I really believe that a volunteer makes a given project better than if it were done by paid employees. Volunteers give the extra beyond the hours. I know a lot of people who volunteer. They volunteer many hours and really assist agencies and projects get things done that probably would not get done otherwise. My mother volunteers for an agency that works with developmentally disabled citizens and has volunteered so many hours that they gave her an award for it. My father has volunteered for many boards like the Blood center for many years. Chelsea volunteers for the Iggy group in her area. My oldest son volunteers at the emergency room at the hospital in Montana. I’m sure that there are many other people I know that I have left out of this list (sorry!?!) But here’s the thing. I’ve never volunteered for any agency. I’ve thought about it. I’ve fantisized about it, what it would be like, who I’d meet. So, what’s holding me back? I’m scared. This seems funny at first. If I were talking to my kids I’d laugh if they told me they were scared to volunteer. I’d buck them up.
I want to make a difference, to do a needed job that really will help an agency. I’ve got the time. I have transportation. I’m not a dummy. I know that I could do any job put before me. My list of places to volunteer is long. I’ve thought about volunteering at the local Youth Center, the Food bank, the Library, and especially the County Humane Society. But… What if they really don’t need me? What if, like my inquiry of The Humane Society, the process is so cumbersome; it’s to weed out people because everyone wants to volunteer there. I would love to give time each week but I want to do it somewhere that my three hours a week will make a difference, even if it is cleaning pet cages or shelving books, or taking out the garbage.
Having admitted to all this, there’s no excuse to not volunteer. I understand that those who volunteer get enriched more than they feel they give. So… I’ve looked up my local Humane Society and found out the process to volunteer. I will go to the volunteer orientation (in August), then to the interview with the tour (by appointment), then see what they need me to do. If it turns out that volunteers are a dime a dozen, I will look somewhere else. Its time I put my toe out there, do something worthwhile and get over myself. Okay, now that this is public knowledge, I can move on it rather than just think about it.

If anyone knows a place that needs a willing Volunteer, call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment