Thursday, July 15, 2010

(142) My garden or hot summer days

I love watching my garden grow. I walk about with Beeker and look for each new growth, each present from nature. I feel weighted down. Slowed by the early morning thickness of humidity, mobbed by mosquitoes attacking like the United Nations forces. I’m excited by the red raspberries and the flowering Cannas. But I know the tipping point is here. The Bleeding hearts have turned yellow as they dry and wither. The Delphinium and Hollyhocks have flowered and now their leaves are eaten through making lacy green statues. The Coneflowers still hold their color but are droopy in the heat. The fern, once yellow green with tendrils spiraling upward, now curl inward, looking eerily like a brown crispy octopus. When the wind blows, it’s hot. There is no cooling with this breeze. It brings dry leaves from the walnut and locust trees, landing on our back deck. The oaks and maples will turn later in the fall, but for now bring the much needed shade to our yard.
The hawks, GeorgeNGracie and family have flown from their nest. The last time we saw them was the day the kids landed on our deck to say good bye. I miss their calls, the cat like mews, communicating their arrivals and departures. I hope they return next year. I’ll keep the tree open.

We watched To Kill a Mockingbird last night. It’s the 50 anniversary of Harper Lee’s book and since Brad just finished rereading it (having read it the first time like most of us during high school), we decided to rent the movie to see it again. I have probably watched this Gregory Peck movie four times in my life and I love it every time, always seeing something new and thoughtful about it. When I suggested watching the movie, I was surprised to learn that Brad had never seen it. Who can go through life without seeing this fantastic mirror of our society in the 30’s. It was written in the 60’s but reflects society in the 30’s. It seems to have all of the good and bad attributes of living in that time. I love all of the quiet symbolism and cross generational tensions of the time. I am always struck of how well Harper Lee was able to describe growing up in a small town. I lived in a very small town in the 60’s and I always feel so close to the character Scout. Set in summer, this movie seemed the perfect movie for us at this time. The heat, the slow movement of the time and the movie brings us to reflect on our own actions toward those we live with. If it has been a while since you have seen this movie or read the book, it is the perfect time to see it. I think I saw a tear in Brad’s eyes. Oh, listen closely, there are numerous dogs in this movie, one specific scene comes to mind. Beeks was riveted.

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be fun to have a 50th anniversary family read of "To Kill a Mockingbird". I know the Bridges already have a head start, but we could even have a family discussion group or movie night with the movie.

    ReplyDelete