Sunday, July 18, 2010

(145) A Dog Movie for You and Your Dog




My eyes are red and my head is as stuffy as can be. No, I have not just come in contact with something I am allergic to. I have just finished watching Hatchi: A dog’s tale. I knew it was going to be a tearjerker going in, but it really had me crying before the half way mark. This is an American remake of the 1987 Japanese movie, Hachiko-Monogatari. It is a movie about loyalty, undying loyality. We have been waiting to get this movie from NetFlix for about two months, and just this weekend received it after I called and asked how to get on the shortlist. I guess from talking to the Netflix people that it was not even given a National Release but afterward, it became such a big hit with much publicity and few DVD’s made, that it is now hard to get. Do I believe that? Anyway we were excited to see it after a recommendation from a coworker and today was the day. Hatchi is a movie based upon the true Akita dog that lived in Japan during the late 1930’s. (See Above Picture of Hatchiko) In the American version, Richard Gere play’s a professor that adopts a homeless dog and then after years of loyal love and attention to his dog, dies. When the professor does not return, having suffered a brain hemorrhage, at his University, the dog faithfully returns daily to wait for him. The story is a simple one that has great depth due to the community of people who come to know Hatchi as he waits for his master’s return. This movie gives much attention to the world view from the dog’s point of view. Many scenes are viewed through Hatchi’s eyes. After seeing this movie, I wanted to know more about the “real” Hatchiko, so I looked him up on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D). After reading that entry, I wanted to see the Japanese movie 1987 version. Unfortunately, it is not available from NetFlix so I’m out.

I recommend viewing this movie as it is a good movie based upon real events.
However you need to be aware of certain things before you watch his movie. First, It is an American remake of another movie so not all of the events in the film are real and it is quite Americanized (original movies are always better than remakes). Secondly, The Japanese love the Akita dog and especially Hatchiko because he was an all white Akita and all white Akitas are rare. Also, Hatchiko had one up ear and one drooped ear, which is also revered and not depicted in the film. Third, you need to have a box of Kleenex handy, you will love your own dog more than ever when you are finished watching this movie. Most dogs are loyal by nature, and give unconditional love in return, but Hatchiko was an amazing dog, and continues to be loved by the Japanese (and now Americans) to this day.

After we finished this movie, I realized that I was twirling Beeker’s ear extremely hard but he was not fazed by this. I routinely twirl his ear and both enjoy this as part of our closeness. However, I know that today as I watched this movie and was absorbed in its plot and emotion, I relayed that to Beeker through my hands to him through his ears. He just slept through it at my side. What a great movie to watch with your dog. It made it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment