Wednesday, July 28, 2010

(155) Such a Smart Cat




As I blogged in yesterday’s post, I have just returned from a long weekend visit with my sister. I was exhausted last night and fell asleep quickly. While I slept soundly, Beeker settled in at the foot of the bed between my legs. If Beeks is on the bed he is quiet, we don’t allow chew toys on the bed. Anyway, Chez also wanted up on the bed and jumped up looking for his usual sleeping post, between Brad and me. Unfortunately for Chez there wasn’t room because I had snuggled up with the pillows and was sleeping on more than my share of the bed. This didn’t sway him in the least. Chez cozied up to Beeker, cuddled right up to his back and laid down. Beeker was quite cautious of Chez’s attention and although he didn’t get up, Beeker turned his head around to look at Chez. After Chez had Beeker’s attention he stood up and shot off the bed in a rush of excitement, followed by Beeker. Mind you, this was all happening while I’m sleeping. Brad relayed this story to me today.

I have seen Beeks and Chez play chase together before. They have developed a cooperatively created game of chase and wrestle that allows both animals to be victors. Sometimes Beeks will wrestle Chez to the ground, with Chez on the bottom and sometimes Beeks will be wrestled to the bottom and Chez will be the victorious one on the top. It is hilarious to see the cat chasing the dog and staring him down. He backs up slowly as the cat moves forward. Oh, the power of intimidation!

But this tale is not about Chez and Beeker’s creative gaming. Rather it is about how Chez got Beeker (and Max as well) to follow him out into the living room. As a result of the chase, with Beeker off the bed, Chez returned to jump back up and get positioned right where Beeker had been laying down. That’s a smart cat. Have you heard the saying, "Cat’s rule, Dogs Drool”? When Brad again called both dogs back up on the bed, Chez repeated the scenario once again with less chaotic brouhaha and just long enough for Beeks to jump off the bed and Chez to get back up on the bed to reposition himself. Beeks slept on the floor and Chez slept at my feet. And I slept right through the entire dramatic episode.

Have you heard the story of the differences of how cats and dogs perceive their relationships with people? A dog looks at its owner and thinks, “She feeds me, waters me, takes care of me, picks up my poop, She must be a god!” A Cat thinks, “She feeds me, waters me, takes care of me, cleans up my poop, I must be a god!”
I have to say, ya gotta love them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment