Thursday, July 22, 2010

(149) The Willies, Eagle Fritzes, and The Crazies

This morning was nice enough that Beeker and I could go outside for a walkabout before I went to work. It was so humid that I could hardly breathe but Beeker didn’t mind. I could tell from the start, even before we got outside that Beeks was amped up. As I was getting my shoes on he started twirling around in circles, running to the front door and back to me. He was READY! We have had such poor weather for outside walks and I have been working so much lately that he hasn’t gotten the amount of running that he needed or wanted.

Almost at the same moment I got the front door open, he shot out like a bullet. He ran right to his favorite ornamental grass and started eating it. When I AH AH’d him, he looked at me and immediately got the willies. You know, the eagle fritzes, the crazies. He ran around the house so fast he looked like a greyhound in a three mile race. Then when I started up the driveway, he ran into our front yard and made a dead stop, cocked his head. At this point I started calling him back to me which he ignored. I knew I was in trouble; he was not looking to me just ignoring my call. I walked closer to him, and he RAN out to meet a walker coming up the lane. I was so mad, and then I realized that the walker was my neighbor from across the street. She stopped and didn’t look at Beeker so that I could get him to come back to me. He did but only momentarily, as he still wanted to run, run, run. Luckily, I got him to get back in our yard, and luckily he usually stays in our yard when we are outside. While I chatted with my neighbor, Beeks was gaining miles in our yard, still running like a banshee. That is until he heard the little girls from next door. They were outside waiting for their mother to get them into the car and off to daycare. They have this awesome tree swing that they love to swing on and figure out new ways to swing. Well, as soon as Beeker heard the squeals from tiny voices he was again off running around the circle and would not come when I called him. He was like a kid in a candy store, he was so happy running. When he got just into their yard, he stopped and waited until they called his name. They love Beeker and talk to him just like he was a playmate. I love it and so does Beeker. Off he went to frolic with the girls. When Beeks is outside he often will go right to their yard and look to see if they are outside and then come back if they aren’t outside. I followed him over to the girls and called him once again. When he flew past me I corrected my voice and talked to him with an even tone and he circled around and came to me. Whew! Then I had Beeker go into a down stay until he was a bit calmer. This was difficult for him as the girls were showing me their tricks, calling both of our names. But he did it and we were able to talk to the girls and their mother for a few minutes. When I decide it was time to return to the house, to get ready to go to work, I released Beeker and told him it was time to go home. He shot out like the greyhound again and by the time I got back down the driveway and to the front door, Beeker had rounded the house twice and met me on the front step in his usual sitting position. I just had to laugh at him. He really needed to get outside and run. The exercise is something that I can see he really needs, but will tolerate forgoing (if necessary) for only so long.

Brad says that Beeks is a weenie of a Cattle dog. Most Cattle dogs are out on the trail for days at a time, in rain, snow, heat. Beeks hates to be out in the rain, he will sit on the back step if it is raining and won’t venture out into the dog run. He will do his duty if it is hot, but wants right back inside ASAP. Okay so maybe he isn’t so great of a Cattle dog but he is a great dog and he is cute too. He’s one funny dog, that’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment