Monday, September 6, 2010

(195) Bang the Drums and Queue the Thunder

When we came to my folks house to visit my dad we didn’t know we were going to have such a big bang time, with so much excitement. For one, we didn’t anticipate the late night thunderstorm with the loud thunder and bright lightening during the night. It was such a storm that the storm warning sirens blew to let us know that a storm was headed our direction. We didn’t need no stinking sirens to let us know that! The wind and thunder were amazing, but the continual lightning strikes were what threw Beeks into a tizzy. At first he just snuggled up closer to me but soon he would bolt upright with his whole body shaking as he panted. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to get down from the bed or stay near me where he was safe. Then in a panic he jumped off the bed and tried to hide under it. When he couldn’t get under he jumped back up to the top of the bed with the next zap of lightning. When I sat up trying to figure out what would calm him best without causing him further panic I thought about opening the door but I admit I thought I might get electrocuted by touching the metal door latch. I also figured that if I opened the door Beeker would run and hide somewhere in the house (in the basement maybe) and I would not be able to find him. So I kept the door closed and when he lay down next to me, I patted him calmly to let him know I was near and that I was calm. Midwestern thunderstorms can be incredibly powerful and at the same time a beautiful lightshow. Last night or rather this morning’s thunderstorm was one of the most powerful storms I can remember. I felt sorry for Beeker who didn’t understand how wonderful it is to see the lightning and then count until the thunder booms to see how far away the lightening is. Some of them were pretty close and scared us both with its closeness. They must have hurt his ears and I know he was suffering something awful.


This morning, when we finally woke the storm was still in the area and although we didn’t have the lightning we still had some distant thunder with some associated rain. We were planning on attending the local Labor Day parade and after some deliberation we decided to go. Whenever we are in town during Labor Day we always go to this parade, it’s simple and has all the necessary makings of a parade, candy is tossed, bands play, and there are lots of cars, trucks and floats. As is typical of a Labor Day parade in an election year, there are the politicians and beauty queens. So even though we were threatened by rain we went. How could we not allow Beeks the pleasure of a parade? What I had not anticipated was how loud the Drum Corp would be in the opening act. This was not just some kids learning to walk in a line and bang drums; this was a coordinated effort that we love to watch since it brings kids of all ages together to express their “soul” and attitude. They’re Great! Beeks didn’t think so. To say he wigged out is a gross understatement. He was so frantic and we were right up close and personal just on the sidewalk next to the road. Beeks was so frantic that he backed up under my chair and twisted himself into a knot. The man sitting next to me tried to help calm Beeker but ended up only getting his thumb also caught up in his collar. From that point on, I got up and walked him away from our area to a further area each time a band or loud drum sound would come around the corner. This worked much better. See… even an old lady can learn something new. Each time the loud sound would pass; Beeker was interested in going back to our seats, to see what the next act was. He was interested and curious to see the dogs and kids walking down the street throwing candy. Even the animal shelter was in attendance walking dogs, passing out dog treats. I think the parade and the storm were especially unique experiences for Beeker. He’s exhausted now that we are back to Papa’s. He went outside and ran a bit with my brother but now he’s a typical CD (cashed dog). Life’s good when you’re a happy dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment