Thursday, September 2, 2010

(191) Rain and Ruggedness

Hallelujah! Its finally raining here! We have not had a significant amount of rain for a month! It started raining during the night and will continue on I suspect all day. This is a drenching rain, the kind that farmers love to have come down on their fields. I hope this rain can save my bushes. They were starting to lose their leaves. I hope they aren’t dying.


This morning I did my regular morning routine and while I got my breakfast ready Beeks looked at me with anticipation of our walkabout. He had already been outside once earlier before his breakfast feeding but he is always ready for his run. I wasn’t about to go outside and get soaked in the downpour but I thought , “what the heck, if he wants to go, I’ll let him”. I opened the front door and Beeks shot out with his typical bullet excitement. He headed right for the ornamental grass around the light pole that is always his first stop on the freedom train. Then it hit him. The rain was coming down so hard and he was out there and I had not followed him. He looked up, saw that I was nowhere near him but standing inside the door in the comfort of my home. He turned tail and ran straight back to the door looking like a drowned rat. His ears were down, his tail was down and he was soaked to the bone. Some cattle dog he is! Not exactly the breed standard for fearlessness. This whole scene took less than one minute. I had to laugh at my champion.

Now, seven hours later, I’m home again and the sun is out, shining like it never rained. The heat and humidity have returned but with a slight wind that masquerades as a tropical breeze. This evening when the heat has subsided somewhat we will take our first walk in a long time. Brad expects to be home at a “reasonable time”(wink wink) so we are hoping to get at least a short figure eight walk in. I have tomorrow off, the first in a long time and am looking forward to starting back up with walks. I need them and so does Beeker. I can tell he is bored by the way he keeps at Maxie. Poor Maxie has to almost hide to get away from Beeker nipping at his heels and tail. Maxie hasn’t been outside on a walk in a long time. I know he will love spending time with the love of his life… Brad.

No comments:

Post a Comment