Wednesday, February 24, 2010

First blog 2/24/10



This is my first blogging experience so I really am trying to teach an old dog a new trick. I thought that since I find myself with a good number of extra hours in the day, I should try to learn something new as well as document my thoughts of life with Beeker. This first blog will be an introduction to both Beeks and me and our life in this family pack.

Beeks is a cattle dog mix,some say a cross between Australian Shepherd and Australian Cattledog. Texas Healer? Anyway, Beeks is now @ 2 years old. I (with the help of Brad and Max)adopted Beeker from the Champaign County Humane Society in early June of 2008. He was @ 3 months of age and from a litter of 5. At the time we adopted him he was the only one left of the litter(our good fortune). Brad and I went to "just look" for another dog (Max was already in our family by then)and there were these beautiful eyes starring up at us. Redford(his kennell name)was not barking or yelping and we fell in love with him quickly. We took him for a walk, well, he was too young to take outside(animal shelter rule)so we took him into a playroom. We tried to look at other dogs that day but without much connection, my heart was already given to this cute spotted dog. Brad was going out of town the next day so I returned to vist Beeks in the Shelter, sending Brad updated photos. We were able to bring Beeks home after a family visit with Max ( our 100lb,at the time)Landseer Newfoundland. Both dogs got along suprisingly well considering Beeks weighed about 20lbs at the time. Just like a younger sibling, Beeks wanted to engage Max, to play and Max ignored or tollerated the intrusion. At the time we wondered if Max would be too rough with Beeker, given the size difference. Well,now we know, not to worry, Beeker is a dog worthy of his breed. He behaves like Max is his own herding cow. We have seen Beeker pull Max down by his tail. Why Max tollerates this I have no idea. Many times we have to stop Beeker from "picking" on Max.
At times it seems that Beeker is the agressive one of the pack,the alpha dog however, given their size difference, and Max's demeanor(he is a gentle giant Newf), Max will let Beeker know when it is time to stop roughousing. Beeks has a higher energy level than Max and really invites him to play.(you know the stance, front paws down rump up) Max was rescued in 2007 and is about 2 years older than Beeker so his energy level is somewhat lower given his age & breed.

We like to travel... alot. We try to always take our dogs with us when we travel. When I go in the car, Beeks is always ready to go on a "new adventure". I have a difficult time not taking him with me. If I go to work (yes, I work part time)I can't take him with me and he gives me the "look". As Cesar Milan would say, "we have a conversation". When I can take him with me he loves to stick his head out the window and smell all the new, current smells. Beeks rides in the back seat of my Honda, I first tried to harness him in the front seat but he often got sick(this was when he was younger), then his chest grew too big for the harness(Brad says that is just my excuse not to harness him). After I put him in the back seat he no longer got sick and he doesn't try to ride up front.

Where have we traveled with the dogs? We have gone to Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Indiana, Chicago(we live in Illinois)and South Carolina. We have had good luck staying in hotels with the dogs, there are now many pet friendly hotels. Some are "pet friendly" for dogs under 20lbs but others are happy to accommodate full size dogs as well. Max at 150 lbs, and Beeks at 60lbs are well behaved in hotel rooms, unless someone walks too close to the door. Then they will bark in alarm. Great! They do stop and aren't destructive so we are lucky with that. Tomorrow I want to talk about Beeker's behaviors, what he likes to do, what we like to do together(other than travel)and what his favorite belongings are(toys? food?) Thanks for reading. Please make comments too, so I can learn how to do this better.
Beeks & Me

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you are off to a great start on this! Keep it up! Such a cute pic of him as a puppy! Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good! Now Jesse James and I will have a daily reading activity together!!!!!! Keep us in the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ash here, first time commentor, long time reader. I like what you've done with the place - I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, enjoyed day 2. Read on my lunch hour...nice way of keeping up with you and the "children"! We have gotten Sammy off our bed at night now altogether. He wined and wined and Capper ALMOST gave in but I made him stand strong and now peace reigns and we can sleep better. You are my inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little does Leanne know how much you are tortured when Beeks is staring at you!

    ReplyDelete